well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Local food treats
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local food treats
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Smelt used to run in the Sandy River every year when I was a kid. I grew to not like it because we would catch a lot and freeze them for later. Free food, ya know.

The smelt either don’t run in the Sandy any more, or it’s a vastly reduced run when they do show up.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

The smelt either don’t run in the Sandy any more, or it’s a vastly reduced run when they do show up.

This happened at Yachats too. The last couple of years I went there, they cancelled the smelt fry because the smelt didn’t show up.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In New Mexico we have been introduced to whole new set of flavors.

The Hatch chile and all of its uses!

Like the Norteño margarita

Or a good pork posole.

NY Times recipe

We also just love how interesting chiles wind up as accent flavors in so many dishes, without burning out your taste buds.

Even in hot chocolate ...

Kakawa Chocolate House

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Hatch chilis are delicious!

I hope they show up in local markets.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Local Kroger chain here had fresh hatch chiles for the first time last year.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who moved from Cincinnati to Denver to New Mexico. We were out for lunch at a nice Mexican place in Seattle. She said she wasn't a huge fan of Mexican food. She especially didn't like Tex-Mex. And she really really REALLY didn't like green chile anything.

I just thought "what a waste".

A few months ago, Costco had hatch green chile salsa. I bought a jar. It was tasty, but very watery. I ended up running half the jar through a coffee filter to siphon off some of the liquid.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
You have to try hard in NM to avoid chile ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Where did the smelt fishermen go?

https://www.lstoptours.com/blo...agos-smelt-fishermen

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
“Old fishermen never die… they just smell that way.”

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post