well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Online Coding Boot Camp
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online Coding Boot Camp
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am super proud -- she decided she wanted a career change, took a leap of faith, worked hard, and landed on her feet.

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Also, a $6000 + 10 month investment, for a new career path, sounds pretty good! Best of luck to her moving forward!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! That's great news.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Cindy that news really made my day. Seriously. It’s so good to see a young person take initiative and a bit of risk, and have it rewarded so directly and immediately.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update! So great to hear it worked out well for her.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
That's awesome Cindy! Congrats all around.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

It looks like a happy ending for her, at least for now.

But as with so many things today, it shows just how hard it is for most people to get ahead in this country. Consider all of the advantages she had that many people don't have.

She had two parents with the resources to be a safety net had things not worked out.

She had no college debt or car payment; not married; no kids; able to relocate if necessary. Because she lived with us rent free for a year, she had savings to survive a long period of unemployment.

She had a college education already, and she had parents who were able to advise on job hunting, etc.

Her Apple computer crapped out in the middle of the program; she was able to borrow money for a new one from us.

We carried medical insurance for her because she is under 26.

People talk about pulling oneself up by the bootstraps, but not everyone has access to bootstraps.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
All very, very good points Cindy.

Yes, so many people have no bootstraps, indeed. Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congrats to MS and to the family! Grateful for bootstraps, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post