well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Know your winter squash

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know your winter squash
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
The winter squash season is soon upon us! Our CSA farmer has a ton of different winter squash varieties and passed along this link for handy identification.

https://www.epicurious.com/ing...sh-varieties-article

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr SK makes something that's kind of like a stew (??) with kabocha squash and chicken. Yummy It's almost that time of year!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Kabocha is awesome!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We got several delicata squashes in a recent CSA box. Never had them before so I had to look them up.

Found this recipe and tried it. It was fabulous!

https://www.delish.com/kitchen...icata-squash-recipe/

This variety has become one of my new favorites!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Love Delicata, skin and all.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Acorn squash are my favourite, but I love all types of squash. We eat the skin of butternut squash - not sure if we are supposed to but who can be bothered peeling them when the recipe calls for cubed squash??

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We got a spaghetti squash in our CSA box. I made this recipe and mr wtg and I decided it was a winner:

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...ge-spaghetti-squash/

I used the whole can of paste because if I only use half and put the rest in the frig, I inevitably end up pitching it after two weeks because I've forgotten about it and it's gone south.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
That's the one food I will throw up before being able to swallow it.

Who knows why?

Carry on.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I used the whole can of paste because if I only use half and put the rest in the frig, I inevitably end up pitching it after two weeks because I've forgotten about it and it's gone south.

I've been buying it in a squeeze tube for exactly that reason.

I wonder if you can freeze it?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
That's the one food I will throw up before being able to swallow it.

Who knows why?

Carry on.

My brother, who will eat darn near anything, is the same way. He's been that way since he was a toddler.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

I've been buying it in a squeeze tube for exactly that reason.

I wonder if you can freeze it?

Yep! We used to put it in 1 tablespoon blobs on parchment on a baking sheet, freeze until solid, then toss in a freezer bag. Works great. Then we discovered the tubes and stopped bothering.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post