well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What should I use to clean my piano case?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I use to clean my piano case?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
My Yamaha C2's case is polished ebony -- isn't that a polyester finish? So, it should be fairly durable, but probably not indestructible, right?

My tuner said to use Windex and a soft cloth, but I'm thinking I've read *not* to use Windex?? I don't want to scratch it, nor do I want to make it cloudy. I also don't want to buy some expensive fancy polish if it's not needed.

If Windex is really the thing to use, I already have some and can use that. But, is it the thing? Also, what do you recommend for the cloth? Somehow it seems like all our cleaning cloths these days are that microfiber kind, but I feel like a more traditional cotton rag would be better. Why do I not have any of those?? :P

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't cleaned the case since I got it, and the curved side of it needs to be cleaned. I noticed it when I first bought it, but the position it's in right now you don't notice it. So I kind of forgot about it. WhoMe But the piano will be repositioned on Thursday (yay!) and the curved side will be much more noticeable.

TIA for any advice!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I might try something like Endust. I doubt it’s really dirty unless it’s sitting in the kitchen.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Piano Buyer

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I like a good microfiber cloth...

Determine what you want to get off the finish - is it fingerprints, or something else?

Cory products are great, but I most often use a glass cleaner cut with water for poly finishes. Use one cloth damp and another dry if you've got marks that just a dry cloth alone won't shine.

Most of the time breathing on the offending spot and then rubbing with the microfiber cloth gets the shine back just fine...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't have polished ebony; mine is a matte black finish (it has a name I can't remember). It was recommended to use nothing harsher than cheesecloth, maybe breathing on the surface to create a bit of moisture first. But this was in the days before microfiber, and the microfiber seems to work fine, even slightly dampened.

But your finish may be different.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I don't think you actually need to "clean" your piano, but most likely just dust it. Microfiber works great for that.

Watch out for Windex and other glass cleaners. What you want to avoid are those that contain ammonia--not sure if Windex does or not. But even if you use a cleaner like this (non-ammonia type), probably best to spray it lightly on the microfiber cloth and clean it that way.

My 2c!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Mine is a polyester surface. I've always used Cory piano polish. Works just fine (at getting the paw prints off).

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Determine what you want to get off the finish - is it fingerprints, or something else?

It's not just dust. I think what needs to be removed is probably "smudge of dog" Ole

The sellers had two doggies, one was a type of poodle I think, charming doggie, both Mr. and I grew to love that dog over the several visits we made to see the piano. But his head was about the right height for where there are smudges all along the curved side of the case. The piano was in the sellers' home office, which was both sort of dark and also full of cabinets and office stuff, so I didn't notice the smudges until I got the piano into my house. Since that side wasn't very noticeable, I hadn't done anything about it until now. Leaving

Based on when I tried rubbing one of the smudges with my finger as far as I can tell, the smudges will come off pretty easily. But I do think it needs something more than just a dry microfiber cloth.

I'll see what's in our Windex, and if it's ammonia-free, maybe I'll cut that with water, or else maybe I'll get some of the Cory's, it looks like you can get it through Amazon prime.

Thanks y'all! I'm so excited to get the piano moved and see how it looks and sounds re-positioned. It's almost as exciting as when I first got it! Keyboard Jam

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Cory and a fine microfiber cloth is the best. Cotton will scratch.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I like a good microfiber cloth...

Cory products are great, but I most often use a glass cleaner cut with water for poly finishes. Use one cloth damp and another dry if you've got marks that just a dry cloth alone won't shine.

Most of the time breathing on the offending spot and then rubbing with the microfiber cloth gets the shine back just fine...

''Tis what I do...

Or just a damp micro cloth followed by a dry one.

Dry Kitty paws on keyboard cover at times.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cotton will scratch.

Oh, good to know, thanks!!