well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What is eating my lemons?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is eating my lemons?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Whatever is eating my tree lemons eats only the rind and leaves the fruit alone. I've had critters hollow out the fruit before but never strip off the rind without eating the inside.

What kind of animal does this?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34905 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is, but I want one to peel my oranges.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13806 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Meyer lemon, right?

Rats.

https://www.mercurynews.com/20...he-pulp-on-the-tree/

https://www.houzz.com/discussi...ing-the-meyer-lemons

From comments in the second link:

quote:
Hi,

I'm returning to gardenweb forums after disappearing for almost an year. Good to see that bencelest is still around to help. I wonder if rickjames and mrtexas are still around. I have not looked around in forums messages in detail yet.

In any case, in my case, it turned out to be rat. Since last year, we have had couple of cats hanging around in neighborhood and lemon peel problem has disappeared along with rats.

'Sup Nkt. Welcome back Smiler

So integrated pest management does work. Whaddya know.

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is weird! Especially if it’s rats, you’d think they’d want the fruit.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18411 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ever had a kumquat? You eat the rind and leave the fruit.

I've never eaten the rind of a Meyer lemon; I just used the juice like you would for a regular lemon. I make Meyer lemon custard sometimes. But I'm thinking that it may be like the kumquat, with the rind being on the sweet side (guessing) and the fruit sour (definitely).

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
WTG, you're amazing!

Yup - Meyer lemon. I've dealt with rats in my orange tree but I did not know rats hollow out oranges but eat only the peel off of lemons.

Now to get rid of them before they figure out how to get in to the house.

Thanks! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34905 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever had a kumquat? You eat the rind and leave the fruit.

I eat the whole thing. Pop it in your mouth and enjoy! Sweet and sour, yum. Some people actually eat only the rind???

Posts: 12527 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post