well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    For fans of Nutella
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For fans of Nutella
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Buy in bulk and share with friends.

Or just eat a lot of Nutella.

https://www.costco.com/.produc...2C_2020_0913_Grocery

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
1/2 sugar isn't it? Think I will pass.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And the other half is palm oil....but it's low sodium!

Have to admit, it's not my favorite because it's too sweet for me.

But I know there are a lot of fans out there.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Not a fan.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I don’t love jarred Nutella but I have made my own and it is heavenly.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I love it - or at least I used to.
I thought it was highly sweetened hazelnuts. What's this business of having palm oil as the second ingredient?

Dol, how do you make it yourself?? Maybe I could make it with one of the good artificial sweeteners out there. (My favorite is erythritol. Apparently really doesn't add any carbs or insulin effect.)

BTW the link is dead, wtg. Maybe Costco ran out.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not sure what’s happening. Link works for me.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I love it - or at least I used to.
I thought it was highly sweetened hazelnuts. What's this business of having palm oil as the second ingredient?

Dol, how do you make it yourself?? Maybe I could make it with one of the good artificial sweeteners out there. (My favorite is erythritol. Apparently really doesn't add any carbs or insulin effect.)

BTW the link is dead, wtg. Maybe Costco ran out.

Here you go!

HOMEMADE NUTELLA SPREAD

yield: 1½ cups prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 15 minutes total time: 30 minutes

A homemade Nutella spread, full of roasted hazelnuts and a rich chocolate flavor.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups (8 ounces) hazelnuts
1 cup powdered sugar
⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the hazelnuts out on a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until dark brown and fragrant, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking. Keep a close eye on them, as they can go from perfect roasted to burnt in a short amount of time. Transfer the hazelnuts to a medium-sized bowl.

2. Once the hazelnuts are cool enough to handle, place a second bowl upside-down on top of the bowl with the hazelnuts. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to remove the skins of the hazelnuts. It may take a few times to get all of the skins off; each time, remove the hazelnuts that have lost their skin to the bowl of a food processor, then continue shaking.

3. Process the hazelnuts in a food processor until their oil is released and they form a smooth, loose paste, 2 to 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl often.

4. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, hazelnut oil, vanilla extract and salt and process until fully incorporated, scraping the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes. The mixture will loosen and become glossy. Transfer the spread to a jar with a tight-fitting lid or an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 1 month.

Notes (from the recipe - not mine)
If you want to do away with having to remove the hazelnut skins, you could purchaseblanched hazelnuts, which I might try next time.
I was not able to find hazelnut oil at any local grocery stores (including Whole Foods), so I ended up ordering it from Nuts.com. You could substitute walnut oil or vegetable oil, but the hazelnut oil really helps give the spread a silky smooth texture.
You can substitute regular unsweetened cocoa powder for the Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
(Recipe adapted from The America's Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook)

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco has bags of roasted skinned hazelnuts in the warehouse.

I'll find some hazelnut oil and try the recipe!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Here you go!

HOMEMADE NUTELLA SPREAD

yield: 1½ cups prep time: 15 minutes cook time: 15 minutes total time: 30 minutes

A homemade Nutella spread, full of roasted hazelnuts and a rich chocolate flavor...

Thank you, dol!! Sounds scrumptious Yummy

Glad to hear of the alternative to going through step #2 per original recipe. That sounds onerous (still trying to picture putting one bowl atop the one with hazelnuts and shaking them together vigorously enough to get the nuts off?? Confused (How could the bowls just fit, etc?) .

Wishing I didn't have to purchase hazelnut oil. I'm getting so many esoteric ingredients for various delicious sounding recipes (especially ones said to be keto-friendly) E.g. xanthum gum, lecithin, cocoa "butter",
various flours, and , of course, misc. oils.
Wondering whether almond or sesame oil would work (both of which I already have).

As if I needed another fattening desert! Its only health advantage (apart from deliciousness) being that it's relatively low carbs.

That is, provided I don't consume too much at once. (My downfall with nut butters - so hard to stop with one or even two Tbsps!)

But it WOULD be nice to avoid the palm oil which is definitely unhealthy.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
EDIT: Just having read about the relative health benefits/risks of different oils I come up with a hodgepodge of different verdicts. Some say palm oil is even healthier than coconut oil.

The Keto diet actually has a variant of coconut oil (MCT) to be consumed by the Tbsp daily. Considering MCT oil stands for medium chain triglycerides, it gave me much pause for thought but in the end I gave it a try.

Indeed my latest lipid profile came out "perfect" per my cardiologist (it was terrible before that), who was mystified, That includes much lowered triglycerides. Doc says it's a mystery, that it "contradicts everything we learned in school." (His own son lost 150 lbs on this diet.)

Still it gets pricy when one goes in for all the special ingredients. Afraid that sooner or later, new things will be discovered and I'll end up disposing of out-dated ingredients (speaking as someone who just got rid of several "canceled" oils and sweeteners.) Not even counting exotic grains and unsure-what-to-do-with supplements which turn out to contain too many carbs. (Those I'm hanging onto for the time being. )

Bang Head

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
wtg my link still reading "no product found'.

Perhaps it's a function of the zipcode showing up on my page as 'delivery zip code.'

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a plausible explanation!

It's a 6.6 lb tub of Nutella......

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
When it first became the rage, I though, OK, I'll try one and bought a small jar.

Tried some of it...was not a fan...saved it.

HEck, I looked and it is still in the closet!!!

Time to heave ho!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
EDIT: Just having read about the relative health benefits/risks of different oils I come up with a hodgepodge of different verdicts. Some say palm oil is even healthier than coconut oil.

The Keto diet actually has a variant of coconut oil (MCT) to be consumed by the Tbsp daily. Considering MCT oil stands for medium chain triglycerides, it gave me much pause for thought but in the end I gave it a try.

Indeed my latest lipid profile came out "perfect" per my cardiologist (it was terrible before that), who was mystified, That includes much lowered triglycerides. Doc says it's a mystery, that it "contradicts everything we learned in school." (His own son lost 150 lbs on this diet.)

Still it gets pricy when one goes in for all the special ingredients. Afraid that sooner or later, new things will be discovered and I'll end up disposing of out-dated ingredients (speaking as someone who just got rid of several "canceled" oils and sweeteners.) Not even counting exotic grains and unsure-what-to-do-with supplements which turn out to contain too many carbs. (Those I'm hanging onto for the time being. )

Bang Head

I think the first time we made it may have used Almond Oil because we had it on hand!