well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dinner tonight

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinner tonight
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Summer Farro Salad

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I love faro salad. We make it regularly.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Had farro once.
It was in a lobster bisque.
It was fantastic.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That looks great--all my favorite flavors in one bowl. Do you use some kind of oil/dressing?

Hard to believe I had never heard of farro a year ago. I'm making up for lost time now. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
What are the ingredients? I think I see feta and cherry tomatoes.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, I'm too lazy to guugle it. What's faro?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And ancient wheat like grain. (Edit, it is a species of wheat) Chewy and nutty when cooked right. According to google. (I had to look too).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I like faro. A nice change.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
@pj Farro is italian Emmer grain. Very tasty! We baked the bottom of Quiches with Emmer instead of wheat or spelt - it has a strong nutty flavor (even more than spelt) and is more dense than the "modern" dough. Yummy.
Then we tried sourdough bread with Emmer - that didn´t go well. The end product fell into the category of "dwarfish warbread" according to the late Terry Pratchett.
The salad looks delicious!

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin:
The end product fell into the category of "dwarfish warbread" according to the late Terry Pratchett.

Nothing to add. Just have to express my appreciation for the Pratchett reference. Mr. Ironcrust would approve.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Late back to the thread.,.

But it has farro, grape tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, red onion, and kalamata olives.

Dressing is olive oil, balsamic and red wine vinegars, and honey.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post