well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Strange happenings in Alabama

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange happenings in Alabama
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A pregnant woman from Alabama has been charged with manslaughter after she was shot in the stomach during an argument, killing the fetus.

Marshae Jones was reportedly five months pregnant when she was shot by another woman in December outside a shop in Pleasant Grove, near Birmingham.

On Wednesday, Jones, 27, was indicted by a Jefferson county grand jury on a manslaughter charge and is expected to be held in Jefferson county Jail on a $50,000 bond, while the woman accused of shooting her walked free, reported AL.com.

https://www.theguardian.com/us...charge-marshae-jones

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s Alabama, and unless Dems can get their act together Alabama represents the future.

Think about that for a minute.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34796 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting op-ed in an Alabama paper.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/0...-hypocrisy-isnt.html

And....prosecutors are still deciding whether to move forward with the case...what a bizarre series of events....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I was just reading about this case in the NYT
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...t-marshae-jones.html

What Steve said:
quote:
It’s Alabama, and unless Dems can get their act together Alabama represents the future.

was exactly my thoughts when reading the NYT article.

I am terrified of America right now.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Think about that for a minute.

HairRaising
Trying to make some sort of preparation beyond bracing myself for that.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25658 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
An Alabama district attorney will not pursue manslaughter charges against a 28-year-old whose fetus died after she was shot during a December 2018 fight.

The decision comes after days of public outcry sparked by Marshae Jones' arrest on June 26. A Jefferson County grand jury had indicted Jones for manslaughter after another woman, Ebony Jemison, shot Jones in December 2018, killing her fetus.

DA Lynneice Washington announced her decision at a Wednesday news conference in Bessemer.

Jones' attorneys praised the decision in a statement on Wednesday afternoon, saying they were "gratified the District Attorney evaluated the matter and chose not to proceed with a case that was neither reasonable or just."

"The District Attorney’s decision will help Marshae continue to heal from this tragic event and work to rebuild her life in a positive and productive way. She moves forward with enormous gratitude for the support she and her family have received during this challenging time," the statement from White, Arnold & Dowd said. "With the dismissal of charges, the community of support that surrounded Marshae can now channel its immense passion and energy toward ensuring that what happened to Marshae won’t ever happen again."

quote:
But The Montgomery Advertiser on Friday reported Jones' charge appears to contradict a portion of Alabama's Criminal Code. Though the code does include "fetal homicide" language, which defines an "unborn child in utero" as a human being, regardless of viability, the code also states that the prosecution of "any woman with respect to her unborn child" should not be permitted under criminal homicide charges like manslaughter.

https://www.montgomeryadvertis...ter-case/1639097001/

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
An Alabama district attorney will not pursue manslaughter charges against a 28-year-old whose fetus died after she was shot during a December 2018 fight.

Whew, glad to hear this development. Did the public outcry play a role? I would imagine it did.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think it would be most important that the decision was consistent with what's in the criminal code. Public outcry isn't always a good reason for doing something.

Bazootiehead-in-training