well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What’s with the prioritization of “essential” workers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s with the prioritization of “essential” workers?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
She tested negative yesterday, and thank goodness for that. She got the immunization Friday and has an appointment for the second one, so every antibody-building day that ticks by is a good day.

However, she had to turn the car around after school yesterday and go back to the testing center to get the boys tested. One of their teachers is now positive.

They have no symptoms, so time will tell. In the meantime, they will be going to school online at home for two weeks.

Following up on another post, Muffin got her first shot Friday and will be teaching at home until February 1, at least, so I'm counting the days until that immune system kicks in, too.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By the way I'm a huge fan of the First Dose First plan. Props to Biden for going with it. It will obviously save lives.

What's the First Dose First plan?

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
She just texted that the boys were negative, too.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
By the way I'm a huge fan of the First Dose First plan. Props to Biden for going with it. It will obviously save lives.

What's the First Dose First plan?

Instead of holding back doses to guarantee a second dose for everyone that gets a first dose, give out all the doses available to get more people through the first round. Then hope more doses come down the pipeline to get people the second doses...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I thought so.

I disagree strongly with this.

This is not a scientific approach.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think Illinois has used about 40 percent of the allocated doses; I don't know if "allocated" means on hand, or on hand plus projected.

Illinois goes to phase 1b tomorrow, so mr wtg and I qualify to get vaccinated because we're 65+.

I got an email today (but mr wtg did not) from one of the two hospital systems where we have doctors. It was a reminder to be sure contact info is up to date. They said they will be contacting patients soon with an invitation to register to get the vaccine. Since mr wtg didn't get an email yet, I'm guessing they will be contacting a limited number of people rather than opening the floodgates.

A friend said she heard that Walgreens is doing a soft rollout of vaccinations. They open up a handful of appointments each day that you can register for. My friend was up at midnight (the time they open up the next tranche) and snagged one for Wednesday at a Walgreens about 25 minutes away. She wasn't able to get an appointment for her hubby.

People are going crazy trying to get registered to get vaccinated. I think they need to chill a bit.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My DIL has an appointment for her vaccination on Wednesday.

At 3 AM. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, I had missed your updates, I'm glad everyone seems ok but so sorry bc I can only imagine how stressful it is for you!

WTG,
quote:
People are going crazy trying to get registered to get vaccinated. I think they need to chill a bit.

OTOH I agree with you, but OTOH, I can understand where people are coming from. If I wasn't teaching in person, I would be happy to wait. But I am teaching in person and by all accounts will have even more student-contact in the fall, so I'm anxious to get vaccinated.

Now, I'm not going to do anything underhanded or illegal, or try to jump the line, but yeah, it's scary to be out and having in-person interactions not really by my own choice.

Steve, 3am!!! Jeez!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, the people that I know that are going crazy are the over 65 crowd. It's not like most of them have to have it as soon as their turn comes up in phase 1b. They aren't going out to work at a grocery store trying to earn a living to support the family. They're retired and have the option to stay safe at home.

We're not talking a lot of time here, maybe a few weeks or a month....

ChillPill

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Mr Pique got his first shot on Weds. A sore arm for a day was the only side effect. Originally 1b was going to include all 65 year olds, which would have meant I'm eligible in 2 weeks.

They changed it to everyone above 70, because they didn't get all the expected vaccines.

At least one of us will be safe running errands soon!

They gave away tickets online this week to the first 450 respondents. All the tickets were gone 5 minutes after they were made available.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They gave away tickets online this week to the first 450 respondents. All the tickets were gone 5 minutes after they were made available.

Wow!!

I'm sorry you got bumped, but glad Mr Pique got his shot!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Yea, the people that I know that are going crazy are the over 65 crowd. It's not like most of them have to have it as soon as their turn comes up in phase 1b. They aren't going out to work at a grocery store trying to earn a living to support the family. They're retired and have the option to stay safe at home.

We're not talking a lot of time here, maybe a few weeks or a month....

Yeah, they are just the ones with the highest death rate.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes I know. I'm one of them.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that so many non-health care people are receiving the vaccine so quickly, or have already been vaccinated at least once.

Oregon is WAAAAY behind the curve. I'm not sure if it's because we don't have enough vaccines or simply the way they've chosen to roll it out, but if you are healthy and 65+, you're not going to even be eligible until March. They estimate that there are about 795,000 people who will need vaccines to get through the 65+ group, and we currently are allocated about 100,000 per week, so it's not likely that the March group will really see the vaccines available until later.

As for me, at not quite 65, I'm "general population," so who knows? There is no prioritization for people with underlying health conditions, from what I can gather. It's all age-based unless you're an educator, health care professional, or are a recipient of in-home care or live in a residential care facility.

And, heaven forbid, the decisions are being made by committee.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post