well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My Body, My Choice?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Body, My Choice?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
My body, my choice?

This motto of the pro-abortion (or pro-choice, if you prefer that construction) part of our society and its cooption by the anti-vax portion of our society are thoughtfully used as a starting point for discussions of the messy choices inherent in society, particularly a society that presumes to be based on the consent of the governed.

I thought it offered substantial food for thought.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this link, I'll give a read later. But just the intro of the topic is insightful, and indeed points to just how messy things are right now.

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
While I admire the GOP's continuing ability to outflank the progressives in marketing and branding, this really isn't the same thing.

Stating the obvious, if I choose to get an abortion it doesn't cause you to get one. If I *choose* to not get vaccinated, you could well get COVID from me because of my choice.

You think that would be obvious to most, but it's only obvious if you can take on the mindset of the greater societal good. We seem to have lost that as a nation, by and large.

The USA seems like such a harsh place to live now.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You think that would be obvious to most, but it's only obvious if you can take on the mindset of the greater societal good. We seem to have lost that as a nation, by and large.

Yep.

quote:
The USA seems like such a harsh place to live now.

Yep again. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post