well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    On the race for a Democratic nominee

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the race for a Democratic nominee
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
Interesting article. I had started leaning towards supporting a younger, more progressive candidate this time around, even before reading this article. I recently saw a statistic that said by the time of the 2020 election, millenials will outnumber baby boomers in the voter pool. My gut reaction has been to dismiss Biden as too old and too established, but after reading the end of this article I need to give it more thought--although in the end I don't think I will get behind him. What to do, what to do.

quote:
This list shows that, in the modern era, both Republicans and Democrats have tended to prioritize decades of government experience or deep party ties ahead of far more salient characteristics and considerations like youthful energy and fresh ideas.

https://www.politico.com/magaz...ould-win-2020-225165

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Youthful energy is more salient than experience or judgment? I DO NOT THINK SO.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

Did you read the article? It's not about most qualified, it's about most electable, especially when an incumbent is up for "renewal."

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on how you define "salient" -- I would define it as readily obvious, noticeable...

In that regard, I would agree, youthful energy is more salient. You can pick up on it even with very little meaningful interaction.

Therein lies the problem: youthful energy is easy to perceive. Experience and good judgment require more engagement, an understanding of the person's background heretofore etc...

Making judgments about politicians based on salience is exactly the problem we have. Unfortunately.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Depends on how you define "salient" -- I would define it as readily obvious, noticeable...

In that regard, I would agree, youthful energy is more salient. You can pick up on it even with very little meaningful interaction.

Therein lies the problem: youthful energy is easy to perceive. Experience and good judgment require more engagement, an understanding of the person's background heretofore etc...

Making judgments about politicians based on salience is exactly the problem we have. Unfortunately.

I was interpreting "most salient" as "most important". The dictionary suggests that "noticeable" and "important" are both primary definitions.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Here we go again.
Who is going to be the candidate for ME.

It should be who can best beat Trump.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Yep. I only care about who can win. In a landslide. With so many people inspired to vote that there arent enough dirty tricks in the Repugnantcans' bag to fix it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post