well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Party planning

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Party planning
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I'm not much of a party-thrower but I have a 70th birthday coming up and it is something I am considering. I may not do it, but am thinking about it.

Making a guest list is tough. They'd mostly be musician friends I've made in my many years here, but that adds up to a lot of people. Of course, they have different schedules so many would not be available.

Would it be silly to set a date and invite them all, see who shows up? And arrange enough food/wine for, say, 40 people, then run out and get more supplies if more show up? It's easy to get good pizza delivered, for example, and there's a wine shop down the street.

The other way, RSVP, sort of demands they make a commitment, and means more organization.

I had a party years ago, when I got my new piano, but can't remember how I did it.

Anyone have experience with this?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think an RSVP is reasonable. There are several websites that will manage it for you, as long as you have everyone's email. One of them is e-vite.

On the other hand, people are famous for not sticking to their RSVP--they say no then show up at the last minute, or they don't RSVP at all but show up, or they say yes and don't show up.... So if you go that route, the RSVP is going to give you an estimate only.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I always end up with tons more food and drink than necessary. I usually plan on getting things that we like, since we're likely to have leftovers. Drinks keep, so that's less of an issue. The notion of running out in the middle of your party to restock sounds unpleasant and potentially awkward.

One tip: if you are having sort of an open house (sounds like it) be sure to put a start and end time so people don't just drift in for hours on end.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Evites are easy and pretty common these days. It also automatically reminds everyone when the event is near.

That’s what I’d do.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How exciting to be turning 70! And how exciting to have friends from over the years to invite!

Happy for you.

I'd suggest just saying it is an open house celebration from 4-8 or something like that.

I hate RSVPs myself.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Distance will be a factor in attendance. Some in Manhattan or Brooklyn still think Staten Island is a world away.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post