well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID vaccine strategy moving forward
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID vaccine strategy moving forward
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is considering a major shift in the nation's COVID-19 vaccine strategy.

The goal is to simplify vaccination against COVID and perhaps adopt an approach similar that used for the flu vaccine, with annual updates to match whatever strain of the virus is circulating. This is according to a federal official who spoke under the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

NPR reported the proposed shift early Monday morning, and later Monday the FDA outlined it publicly in a set of documents released in advance of a meeting Thursday of the agency's Vaccine and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC). The committee will vote on the agency's proposal.

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...vid-vaccine-strategy

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised this is news, it seems so obvious I figured it was already the plan.

I know some Pharma companies are working on a combined Flu/Covid vaccine. One shot each fall would keep you up to date.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Yeap, I have been expecting this development.
COVID becomes another flu that we manage with periodic flu shots.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lengthening the time between a COVID-19 infection and inoculation improves a person's immunity, according to a study published Jan. 26 in the Journal for Clinical Investigation Insight.

Portland-based Oregon Health & Science University studied 96 "generally healthy" employees who have hybrid immunity — vaccination followed by a breakthrough infection or being vaccinated after contracting COVID-19. Those who are better protected align with longer intervals between vaccination and infection.

"Anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody responses undergo continual maturation following primary exposure by either vaccination or infection for at least 400 days after last antigen exposure," the OHSU researchers wrote.

The study's findings could carry weight in the FDA's future decisions on the COVID-19 vaccine schedule, which so far has been determined by how, when and how much the virus mutates. On Jan. 26, an FDA advisory panel discussed the possibility of a COVID-19 vaccination campaign similar to flu shots, but most disagreed with an annual model because the virus does not mutate on a 12 month schedule.

https://www.beckershospitalrev...ity-study-finds.html

The study:

https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/165265/pdf

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
96 study participants. What's the confidence interval on that? Also, no indication as to how they were selected, whether there were unusual commonalities, etc.

It may be correct but I have questions.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I sent it to my researcher friend with a note "Small but interesting study." Big Grin Forgot to add the same comment here.

Her response:

quote:
interesting study. Also read recently that hybrid immunity is better than either just having a vaccine or just getting covid in terms of reducing %infected and %hospitalized. Another small study, and maybe wishful thinking. Maybe by the time kids get to be our age they will have no susceptibility at all ...

No single study is likely to be the "be all, end all" study and this one needs to be considered and picked apart like any other scientific paper. I saw it as kind of interesting because it was a deeper dive into vaccines, infection and immunity. As they said in the paper:

quote:
The temporal aspects of COVID-19 immunity, particularly from repeated vaccination and infection, are less well understood than short-term vaccine efficacy

The OHSU study might end up being something. Or perhaps nothing. Small steps, and ya gotta start somewhere.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I probably should have looked for the OHSU news release. It does a much better job than Becker in describing the study.

https://news.ohsu.edu/2023/01/...trengthens-over-time

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to pick apart or disregard that study. It adds to the knowledge base. But, it's relatively healthy people, and there's no indication of their age (although the fact that they are employees suggests that they are probably not over 65 or 70).

There's also the complicating factor that, if it's combined with the flu vaccine, what are you supposed to do if you get an intervening case of COVID during the year? Wait until the year is up, and risk getting the flu? Or get the COVID vaccine "too early" because you need to get the flu vaccine?

Questions abound.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you had a chance to read the university's news release. It was much better than the Becker article, and included this:

quote:
The researchers cautioned that the immune response was measured in relatively healthy people, and boosters may be advisable on a more frequent basis among vulnerable people who are older or are immunocompromised.

As far as an annual combined flu/COVID shot...while it's certainly been put out there as a possibility, studies like this should be driving the decision as to whether it's a good strategy or not to do it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Jan. 26, an FDA advisory panel discussed the possibility of a COVID-19 vaccination campaign similar to flu shots, but most disagreed with an annual model because the virus does not mutate on a 12 month schedule.

So what's the alternative? Random boosters at various times through out the year?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Dunno. Public health strategies often end up being a compromise recommendation that the general public can understand and follow. And they may change based on new information.

Take tetanus shots, for instance. Current schedule calls for a booster every 10 years. Unless you get a deep wound and it's been more than 5 years since your last shot. Then you should get a booster. That's been the recommendation for...basically forever.

quote:
Concerns about vaccine-associated adverse events when immunizations were performed at short intervals led to revision of the tetanus/diphtheria vaccination schedule in 1966 to once every 10 years for patients >6 years of age [4, 5].

And some folks are revisiting the schedule, decades later.

quote:
Abstract
Background. Many adult immunization schedules recommend that tetanus and diphtheria vaccination be performed every 10 years. In light of current epidemiological trends of disease incidence and rates of vaccine-associated adverse events, the 10-year revaccination schedule has come into question.

Methods. We performed cross-sectional analysis of serum antibody titers in 546 adult subjects stratified by age or sex. All serological results were converted to international units after calibration with international serum standards.

Results. Approximately 97% of the population was seropositive to tetanus and diphtheria as defined by a protective serum antibody titer of ≥0.01 IU/mL. Mean antibody titers were 3.6 and 0.35 IU/mL against tetanus and diphtheria, respectively. Antibody responses to tetanus declined with an estimated half-life of 14 years (95% confidence interval, 11–17 years), whereas antibody responses to diphtheria were more long-lived and declined with an estimated half-life of 27 years (18–51 years). Mathematical models combining antibody magnitude and duration predict that 95% of the population will remain protected against tetanus and diphtheria for ≥30 years without requiring further booster vaccination.

Conclusions. These studies demonstrate that durable levels of protective antitoxin immunity exist in the majority of vaccinated individuals. Together, this suggests that it may no longer be necessary to administer booster vaccinations every 10 years and that the current adult vaccination schedule for tetanus and diphtheria should be revisited.

quote:
Although many countries, including the United States [8] and Canada [9], continue to recommend booster vaccination every 10 years, the United Kingdom recommends no adult booster vaccinations after the initial 5-dose childhood immunization series [10]. The safety and success of more moderate European vaccination programs with longer intervals between booster vaccinations [10–13] indicate that the current 10-year booster vaccination schedule should be reexamined.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/a...le/62/9/1111/1745278

Things change. Slowly, but they change. I've followed the evolution of canine vaccine protocols for the last thirty years. Human vaccines are no different. When we learn more, we change as needed.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Public health strategies often end up being a compromise recommendation that the general public can understand and follow.

Indeed. There's no way around this.

quote:
And they may change based on new information.

Of course. I was just wondering if they had an alternative in mind, since they were saying the most recent proposed approach isn't a good one.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I haven't read it, but someone live blogged the FDA advisory group meeting. You may find some useful info here:

https://www.statnews.com/2023/...l-on-covid-vaccines/

(edit: I just buzzed through it. Definitely worth a look.)

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I fast-skimmed it so I may have missed a lot, but it's still pretty informative.

And also, there are still more questions than answers right now.

Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a tool that lets you look at vaccine protocols for various countries in the EU. It includes all vaccines, not just COVID-19. Schedules are all over the map.

Just for fun, click on "Access the vaccine schedule" and check out a couple of different vaccines. You can also compare two countries' protocols.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/...accination-schedules

I think this demonstrates the principle that there often isn't a "final answer" to medical questions.

Bazootiehead-in-training