well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thanksgiving Cactus
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving Cactus
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
That's what I'm calling it since it started blooming close to Thanksgiving.

Ms. RP picked it up at an estate sale in the Hamptons, for five bucks. It's big! The original owner had several, and obviously knew how to care for these things.

The flowers are an almost obscene shade of...what? chartreuse? vermilion? I don't know what to call it. Beautiful!

--------------------------------
Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Posts: 11676 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I love Christmas cacti. Did you know that you can control the bloom time based on the amount of daylight it gets -- as soon as the number of hours in complete darkness passes a certain threshhold, the cactus sets blooms. So if it's blooming too early, give it more light at night until you are ready for it to bloom, then put it wherever you had it since it seems to be blooming beautifully there. And if you have one that won't bloom at all, be sure you put it somewhere where it will get several consecutive hours of darkness - don't keep it in a room where you leave the light on very late at night or turn it on really early in the morning.

Note: this is one of only 2 things I remember from my brief stint as a botany major in college. (the other is that the gingko is the only tree that has swimming sperm Razzer )

Posts: 3830 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Good to know about altering the blooming schedule. I am still not totally happy with the location. Our other Xmas cactus (hidden behind the blooming one) has many pads that have turned red, and the whole plant does not look vibrant. Too much sun?

That location (eastern exposure) gets tons of sun in the warm months; maybe it's too much for these cacti, which are more rainforest than desert cacti.

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the human race. -- H.G. Wells

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have those growing in the yard. They’re blooming like crazy right now.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 26511 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Minor Deity
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
that color is fuscia

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 19101 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Named after Leonhard Fuchs.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have a pot of that type of plant, but never notice its blooming pattern's coincidence with Thanksgiving.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have one that was marked down a lot.
It was too big for its pot. I cut it back.
Plan to re-pot it manana.
Hopefully it will bloom some day.

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Pique': Thanks for defining the color!

Steve: Yes, in southern Calif. they do beautifully outdoors. I stayed at the home of an arts patron when in LA for a concert, and there were lush, gigantic potted Christmas cacti in the yard!

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
We had one for years about that color that always bloomed at Thanksgiving. We too called it our Thanksgiving cactus.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8267 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I killed my best Schlumbergera (the botanical name for the genus of cacti under discussion in this thread) last week. Frowner ... I haven't had time to put plastic on the windows in the entry room and realized that running the space heater in there without the plastic was a bad waste of energy. So I decided to close the kitchen door and leave it unheated until I got the plastic up. I didn't give a thought to the fact that it might drop below freezing in there. It did. Bye bye 5 houseplants. Sad day.

I have another Schlumbergera in the music room -- a gift from my aunt. I've had it a few years and it's never blossomed (hers has never blossomed either). I was all set to consider that it was sterile when what do my wondering eyes should appear? A few flower buds! I'm contributing it to the fact that I just put a humidifier in there on the same table as the plant. I'm suspecting it was not getting enough humidity!

Posts: 9947 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lord Emperor Mom
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My mother had some that bloomed at Thanksgiving and some that bloomed at Christmas. I thought that they were separate varieties that were actually called "Thanksgiving cactus" and "Christmas cactus." Maybe not, but the individual plants did naturally bloom at different times, even when kept in the same conditions.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 13954 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
My mother had some that bloomed at Thanksgiving and some that bloomed at Christmas. I thought that they were separate varieties that were actually called "Thanksgiving cactus" and "Christmas cactus." Maybe not, but the individual plants did naturally bloom at different times, even when kept in the same conditions.

Yes they are the same Genus, but they are derived from different Species. Also, the Thanksgiving cactus has pointy leaf edges, the Christmas cactus doesn't.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Maximum bloom day!