well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pay people to get vaccinated?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pay people to get vaccinated?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Couple of people are floating the idea.

quote:
Should the government pay people to get the COVID-19 vaccine?

It’s an idea making more noise lately.

While vaccine candidates are proving to be highly efficacious, they’ll only be effective at returning life to normal if at least 75% of the U.S. is immunized, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, told CNBC recently. However, a recent poll found 58% of Americans say they will get a coronavirus vaccine.

Citing this apparent uncertainty, former Maryland congressman and Democratic presidential candidate John Delaney advocated for paying people who are vaccinated $1,500, according to an op-ed published this week by The Washington Post.

“The solution is simple: Pay people to take a covid vaccine. The vaccines are likely to arrive at the same moment Washington is, belatedly, taking up much-needed stimulus legislation,” Delaney wrote. “The timing couldn’t be better: Money would go into Americans’ pockets just when the U.S. economy can begin fully reopening with a vaccinated population that can go about their daily lives without fear of catching the disease or infecting others.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/ne...rticle247461635.html

Here's his op-ed:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...accine-john-delaney/

And another version:

https://www.brookings.edu/opin...&utm_source=hs_email

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37926 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Sign me up!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Whoa. If they have to pay me to take a vaccine, that makes me suspicious about what they're hiding. If something is safe and good, you shouldn't have to pay people to do it. This might actually harden resistance to the vaccine.

I'm holding out for $5000. Minimum.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pay ‘em NOT to get vaccinated.

You can’t expect herd immunity if you don’t thin the herd...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It could be a nice end-run around Moscow Mitch refusing to help out the 'little guys' during the pandemic...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
They should supply money to get vaccinated if not completely free, not pay them cuz that got vaccinated.

Last night I heard, get vaccinated, then send in your stub.

Grrrrr....

How many of us cannot afford it?

What's it gonna cost?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post