Tools

Latinx
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much of a push is there in other languages (Romance and Germanic that have gendered nouns) to de-gender everything?

Japanese does not have gendered nouns, but there are job titles (e.g., nurse, fireman) that are (were) gendered. A while back (10+ years ago maybe) there was a big push to adopt gender-neutral terms, and there is a (penalty-less) law that gender-specific job title words can no longer be used in job postings, for example. Those terms have largely caught on. But again, it's not the same as Romance languages, and it really is a very narrow range of terminology.

Jon, re your twitter link... if we were not working from home, I would (casually) ask some of my colleagues (who are NSs of Spanish who advocate for LatinX) what their take is.

But since we're working from home, I feel like it would kind of awkward at best, confrontational at worst, to do all that in email...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Real live Hispanics are 20 times more likely to be offended by the term than to use it.

https://www.politico.com/news/...s-latinx-term-523776

As Julian Sanchez said:

“There is something very strange about the widespread media adoption of a term for a group of people, which the vast majority of that group either does not recognize or actively dislikes. I thought we didn’t do that anymore?”

I think people who use this term really need to look inside themselves and ask who they’re using it for and why.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of the base within the D's. Young lefty activists of the past and present have been obsessed with policing and changing language ... the vanguard of progress! So now within the D's we have a conflict. Don't say Latinx and offend the activists. Say it and offend 40% of the occasional Latino voter population.

I find it amusing that Latinx gets the "red underlining" from the spellcheck software. Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
French has a new pronoun, “iel” which is neither masculine nor feminine. It’s derived from “il” and “elle.”

But does one use the masculine of feminine adjective with a non-gendered pronoun? French is hard!

gender neutral French pronoun iel

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Next we can work on the terms for LGBTs and their allies, including cis gender terms and pronouns to use, as well as what each will be wearing.

I am so confused. :

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have asked, "Are you Hispanic." and gotten a smile and a "Yes", so I use that.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
But secretly "they" despised you for not using Latinx... Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
But secretly "they" despised you for not using Latinx... Big Grin

Big Grin

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think this is a good example of "whitesplaining." Wink

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It's so weird that Latinx is developing in a way that words for black people did not.

First we were Negro. WE decided we wanted to be "colored."

Then WE decided we wanted to be "Black."

Then WE decided we wanted to be "African American."

And now WE have decided we want to be "Black," but we're tolerant of "African American."

I do not believe white people drove any of that.

Until Latinos start using Latinx in large numbers, I'm going to respect their right to decide rather than the liberals who are pushing Latinx.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a dog in this fight. Last time I was on a college campus was during the Carter administration.

But let me say that this sort of argument has become overwhelmingly tedious and I’m out.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Hey, I think I said much of this

I'm very sorry, but that's Megan McArdle, and Steve is convinced that everything she says is incredibly stupid. He must not have clicked the link or seen the author.

(I think she's right on the mark here, as she often is.)

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Lexical Imperialism

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh Gawwwd, the "I" word. He even works "colonial" in there. It's almost like a parody of left-wing speak in order to try, vainly, to convince the left-wing speakers to change their progressive ways and leave Spanish alone.

Funny thing, SPANISH itself is the imperialist colonial language that smashed its footprint down on the oppressed peoples of the New World. Oh no, "new" is a Eurocentric colonial word. Oops. I can't speak. Everything I say offends someone! Is "native" OK any more?

You want to see and feel simmering resentments? Go to New Mexico. Activists are pulling down obelisks and statues there like in the rest of the country. But there, the only easy target is the US Cavalry. No Johnny Reb stuff to disassemble. The Anglos are left wing enough not to put up too much of a fuss. Attempts to rip away names like Oñate and DeVargas, however, are met with stony Hispanic resistance. That's THEIR colonialist Conquistadors, after all! Big Grin