well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    And we think we have it bad...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And we think we have it bad...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Haiti.

Could not possibly be worse, really. How their population handles this pandemimc will constitute a kind of horrible Darwinian experiment.

quote:
Haiti announces a state of emergency after confirmed cases.

Haiti announced a state of emergency on Thursday after two patients were confirmed to have the coronavirus.

Both patients were being treated in the University Hospital of Mirebalais, in the country’s central plateau. Both had been out of the country recently.

In a televised news conference on Thursday evening, President Jovenel Moïse announced the closure of schools and universities, that meetings of more than 10 people were forbidden and a nightly curfew for the Caribbean’s most densely populated country.

If extreme precautions are not taken, the virus could quickly overwhelm the country, warned Elizabeth Campa, senior health and policy adviser for Zanmi Lasante, the Haitian nonprofit organization that runs the Mirebalais hospital in partnership with the government.

The poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti has only 124 intensive care unit beds for a population of about 11 million, and the capability to mechanically ventilate fewer than 70 patients, according to a recent survey of hospitals done by the Research and Education consortium for the Acute Care in Haiti study group.

But given that 75 percent of the population live in deep poverty, on less than $2.50 a day and without access to electricity or clean water, it is hard to imagine how many could survive the containment measures being carried out in places like France and Italy.

Is there anything these poor people DON'T have? Frowner

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The thought has occurred to me how badly this will ravage countries with less capable states and poor health infrastructure.

I'm afraid there are going to be a lot of Haitis.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is a very superstitious country too, compliance levels will be abysmal.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That applies across much of the Islamic world and Africa. NPR ran a story yesterday from Pakistan about people refusing to stay away from mosques for Friday prayers. Allah will protect, after all. The rule (tyranny) of superstition/belief/tradition is strongest in places where medicine, science, and government capacity is weakest.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post