well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Etsy email.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etsy email.
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I did not get a similar email asking me if I wanted to opt out of Mother's Day emails. I understand there are probably more people with bad fathers vs bad mothers, but I know for a fact there are plenty of bad mothers our there.

Think people! FFS you only show of your shallow thinking by doing **** like this.

Instead of targeting a specific group, why not ask if I want to opt out of all "Holiday" emails? That would have been so much better.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I replied to the email. I normally would not do this but something compelled me to do so.

quote:

To whom it may concern,
I am not one to be offended and this email certainly does not offend me, but I find it in extremely bad taste. 

Even though this is irrelevant to this discussion, I had a great father who I miss every day since he passed from this life. I am also a father and my wife and I have been married for 34 years and we raised 3 wonderful, critical thinking children.

Apparently whoever presented this idea to your management, and subsequently, the person or persons who approved this message are not exercising their critical thinking skills. 

I did not receive a similar email from you, asking me if I wanted to opt out of Mother's Day emails. I understand there are probably more people with bad fathers vs. bad mothers, but I know for a fact there are plenty of bad mothers out there and probably quite a few people who do not celebrate Mother's day.

Instead of targeting a specific group, why not ask if someone wants to opt out of all "Holiday" emails? That would have been so much better. 

Or provide a list of holidays that the person would like to receive emails regarding on their profile. 

It is better to try to unite people than to divide them. Emails like this do nothing but contribute to division.

You should know better than this.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Etsy isn't the only one giving people a holiday opt out feature.

https://adage.com/article/cmo-...ay-marketing/2329791

I don't get this trend of people and corporations seeming to bend over backwards to avoid offending someone. A bit crazy, IMHO. It's impossible to be totally inoffensive to everyone about everything.

I have to admit that Mother's Day and Father's Day are a bit sadder for me because both of my parents are deceased. And Mr wtg and I aren't parents, so we aren't celebrating those holidays from that perspective.

But I sure as heck don't expect the world to stop spinning just because I might be sad about some holiday.

SMH.....

(note: I've purchased a few things from Etsy, and got no emails about opting out. But maybe I'm already opted out of all their email promotional stuff....I tend to do that.....)

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37895 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
My youngest has an Etsy shop. It's why I have an account in the first place.

I don't think Etsy has anything I am really interested in purchasing.