well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This morning’s update on Mr. Jodi
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This morning’s update on Mr. Jodi
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
I’m going to go ahead and update out in the open, that way those that I haven’t managed to add to the private message list know what’s going on, and I’ve been doing daily updates on facebook anyway (and several people have told me its nice to read this first hand, it makes things a little less scary). This is day 5 of our official 14 day quarantine, day 10 of symptoms, and when we self quarantined. (for those who don’t know, Mr. Jodi came down with symptoms (fever, aches, chills, fatigue, NO cough)a week ago monday after several airplane flights, several big meetings, including 4 days in the kirkland/seattle area, He tested positive for CV on Thursday, and i tested negative)

So since yesterday, his fever has been holding steadily above 100 degrees, higher at night. The all time high so far was 2 nights ago, at 102. It is making it extremely difficult for him to sleep. He was up for about 45 minutes this morning, and drank liquid and ate some breakfast, and is now back in bed. The doctor (so far mr Jodi has not actually been examined, all of this has been over the phone, nobody has seen him except for the flu test a week ago tuesday (in the lab, we both wore masks) and the CV test last Thursday (which was done in our car, outside of the hospital). Anyway - the doctor suggested yesterday that we try to find an oximeter (that little thing that registers heart rate and blood oxygen levels) and a friend was able to to pick one up in the pharmacy and drop it at our door. He is measuring between 90 and 93%, (I think it’s percent) depending on which finger we put it on, and how cold his hands are (poor circulation/cold hands mess up the reading). They told us to bring him in if that number goes lower than 89 (well, the nurse said 90, and I heard the doctor in the background say 89), I imagine he would have shortness of breath by then, but having a number to look at is helpful, instead of always asking “are you having trouble breathing”. Last night he said he felt like he could feel it in his lungs (I’ve been having the same feeling for over a week - like I’ve been swimming all day and if I take a deep breath I cough) but this morning he said he didn’t feel like that. Mine feels better in the morning, and then worse (and I start coughing more) at night. But I tested negative. (I suppose that could have changed. And I have no fever.

Anyway - he says its starting to get hard psychologically - being sick for this long and wondering when it will end, or if it’s going to get worse. This morning was the first time I found myself starting to get a little scared and holding back tears. Being isolated from the outside has been tough. Worrying about our parents (who are in their 80’s) And my kids so far away (though not as far as when we were in Maine!) has been tough. Though our friends and neighbors and his colleagues have been AWESOME, bringing things we need (even though I stocked up, there were things I missed getting) and somebody said they want to bring us stew tonight. I had leftover corned beef and cabbage that somebody dropped off yesterday for breakfast! So that’s what’s going on in our lives at the moment. I can’t even turn on the news anymore. It’s not helpful. But having you all to talk to is nice. Love you guys. ❤️

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20402 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We love you, too! You have a bunch of people here in my neck of the woods pulling for you. I walk with my friend/neighbor every day (it's my one outing per day) and she always asks about my Montana friend. So Sue and Finley (the goldendoodle puppy) are thinking of you, too.

I know it's hard, but I'm so glad to hear that you have people around you to help you get through this. Oddly, there may be a benefit in being one of the early cases when resources aren't yet stretched.

We're pretty much in a quarantine situation ourselves with Mr wtg being a version of immunocompromised. I've been trying to think of ways I can help other people, but they're limited. One thing I thought about was that if we end up getting the government money that is being proposed, that we will find a way to get it to someone who really needs it. Maybe a monetary donation to our local food pantry, or to a small business owner who might have trouble weathering this crisis.

You guys will be OK.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37702 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Jodi,
Thank you.
Your updates have become important.
Hope everything is on the upswing soon.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can imagine Mr. Jodi's sense of feeling depressed. I keep thinking one day = one day closer to health, and I hope I'm right. I'm hoping that no real, or sudden decline is a good thing, and the disease might "break" any time now. Thanks for the updates--you both are in our thoughts here at Chez Nina.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Comfort

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi, again from me too: Comfort

Hang in there! I can only imagine how hard it is for you both right now! All of us here are pulling for you! Group Hug

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Comfort

Posts: 24633 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Hugs.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine the stress, emotional and physical. It feels so powerless to offer you prayers and hopes and hugs.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13518 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi how are y'all doing today?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Jodi, have you been in touch with your physician(s) by phone. The duration of his fever seems very worrisome. Is this "normal" in CV-19? Do we have any sense of what a normal progression actually looks like?

On the oximeter, most people run 97%-99% as baseline normal. 89% is a problem.

We were skiing at Taos a few years back, where the condos at the base of the mountain are at an altitude of over 9,000'. My wife had altitude problems (headaches) and went to their clinic. They put the oximeter on her and found that it was 90. They said they would have sent her home with an oxygen tank at 89.

Posts: 12490 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Had a talk with a doctor today. Prolonged fever is “normal” - 13 - 14 days. Steve started the day at 100.5 and is not at 101.6 If he gets to 89 on the oximeter, I’m supposed to call the ER. But the thing is finicky, if your circulation is bad - he has to make sure his hands are warm and he’s moved them around for the reading to be accurate. It’s been holding pretty steady at 92 and 93 today. Being at higher altitude here 5700-ish feet) we often test lower, especially if we are having issues. (His normal is 97)

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This was a bit of a tough day, Since we his is the first to test positive in our area, the protocols really only starting to get figured out - since the doc that ordered the test for us was not our primary care person, we are in no mans land, and nobody has been checking in on us. I was able to get in touch with people earlier in the week, but was starting to get worried today about the length of the fever, so I tried called the HD today and went direct to phone messages on both numbers, and i started to fall apart on the second message. Between that and my cousin (an MD who used to live here) calling around, I got three calls almost immediately. So that is good. I feel much better now. It’s all new territory - nobody knows what the answers are, or what normal really is. One of the people said she never thought that in her lifetime she would live through a 100 year pandemic.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for sharing the information you've gleaned. You never know when it's going to help one of us, or someone we may know.

Virtual hugs from somewhere in the middle...

Group Hug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37702 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Jodi, I've been following your posts from a great distance so there's nothing I can do but pray for your husband's complete recovery. I hope the prayers are answered.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7372 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post