well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hi, Nunatax!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi, Nunatax!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Hi

Saw you logged on.

Nice to see you. Have a minute to give us an update on how you are doing?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Hi

Posts: 24716 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
Picture of Nunatax
posted Hide Post
Hi WTG and Daniel Hi

I do still roam a lot here (I'm a huuuuuge fan of the lolcritters!), but am mostly too lazy to log in (for some reason, my iPhone and iPad keep logging me out).

I'm doing OK-ish. Lost my job recently... The company I was working for was doing badly financially and one third of our team had to go. I was one of two Europeans in an otherwise completely American team of around 10 people. They let go all the Europeans (apparently we are expensive). I wasn't too sad or mad about it, as I was feeling increasingly isolated socially in that company. I was basically the only one in my function in Belgium, surrounded by people with wildly different jobs. And the colleagues in the US only started appearing on Skype around my 3pm, fresh and full of energy after their morning coffee while I was drowsily digesting my lunch and wondering when the hell it finally time to go home. About 2 years ago, I almost ended up in a burn-out (which was more likely a bore-out) for the first time and mid last year that feeling was rapidly returning. I had already applied for a job elsewhere earlier that year, as my professional situation was becoming more and more unhealthy. So all in all, it was just a matter of time. And now I have the time to regain my energy and look for something that's more suitable for me.

Family-wise everything is great! Our two boys are growing fast, 5 and 7 years old now they are. Noisy and super-energetic, but awesome little guys. The great side of not having a job right now, is being able to spend much more time with them.

How are you guys doing?

We totally exist! Really!!

Posts: 973 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear from you. May you find the best job ever!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update!

I can definitely sympathize about the job situation; one that doesn't fit well with who you are can just suck the life out of you. Sounds like you are taking it in stride and using it as an opportunity to get your energy back and to find something better!

quote:
(I'm a huuuuuge fan of the lolcritters!)

That's good to know! I know there are a few regular followers and it's fun to put together a selection every week.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Hi - nice to hear from you. Hope you find something better soon. Amazing that your young ones are no longer so young. Time passes quickly.

What kind of position are you seeking?

I'm retired - what little is left of my brain is deteriorating quickly. I'm playing the piano a bit more - but need to get my life more structured to ensure I get consistent with my practice. I'm still running - though much slower. I represent the last person in the country who is buying CDs having acquired a large boxed set of Sofronitsky playing Scriabin, Chopin and others.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Nunataks!
Great to see you here.
Good luck on the job search. Hope the next job is a better fix.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a job when I found this one...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
Picture of Nunatax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
What kind of position are you seeking?

I was working within the regulatory deparment of a chemical company, consulting on environmental issues. I think I'll mainly be looking at consultancy firms now.

quote:

I'm retired - what little is left of my brain is deteriorating quickly. I'm playing the piano a bit more - but need to get my life more structured to ensure I get consistent with my practice. I'm still running - though much slower. I represent the last person in the country who is buying CDs having acquired a large boxed set of Sofronitsky playing Scriabin, Chopin and others.

Ha, I've resisted for a long time too and kept buying CDs for quite a while. Did get a Spotify subscription about a year ago. I love the amount of music available, but hate how you can't really shuffle classical music as it won't keep different movements together and in the right order...

Posts: 973 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
hi, Nunatax! Nice to hear from you. As others have mentioned, I hope you find a perfect consultancy gig.

You can turn shuffle off in Spotify.... Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
Picture of Nunatax
posted Hide Post
Hi Nina!

Yes, I know I can turn off the shuffle Smiler But I like to use shuffle on playlists so I don't know which piece will come next.