well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So much for global cooperation - edit: Martin, any news on this from inside Germany?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So much for global cooperation - edit: Martin, any news on this from inside Germany?
 Login/Join

Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
Here´s something for the more mathematically interested:
The most important statistic at the moment for us here in Europe (and soon in the US too) is the time that it takes to double the amount of infected people.
Germany is between "every two" to "every three" days, starting to lean to "every three" days. Aim should be to reach a doubling rate of "every week" quickly. Have a look here, only in german, sorry. Important ist the second, logarithmic table a bit further down the text. Lets hope that with all these lockdowns we will get below that "every week" line, and eventually to the "zero" new infections point Smiler.
I haven´t found a equivalent table for the US yet, maybe it is still too early (more testing needed).
All the best,
Martin

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One of our WTFers is in the area of NY that is currently hardest hit, and another has a spouse who has the virus. We've been talking for several weeks now about the lack of testing and the fact that we don't really know what the denominator is.

It's not clear whether people in the US are going to take this seriously early enough in the process to prevent a meltdown of our health care system. We're still seeing tons of young people on the beaches in Florida for spring break. They just don't get it.

We're all in this together.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Martin - as I recall, you're a pathologist, correct? Have things changed for you professionally in the midst of all of this?

We've been hearing that the Italians are asking retired doctors to step in and help. Is the German medical system looking at pulling doctors in from other disciplines to help with direct patient care if things get bad?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Madcap Compatriot
posted Hide Post
So far everything is (rather) safe and stable. Most people realised that it is up to THEM, whether we are going to have italian conditions or not. With the 10.000 cases we got now, our system is not overwhelmed at all, with 100.000 cases it might be. Problem is, that between 10.000 cases and 100.000 cases there might be just a few more days, so things might look differently next week.
In our institute, most crew are working in two separate shifts now, as many as possible from home. As surgical pathologist you need a microscope, your slides (cases) and a remote access to your computer at campus. As medical personnel we might not be sent home, if there was a corona-case in our team, but we would be tested and asked to work in quarantine. This works well with pathologists, but of course not for a "normal" doctor.
Retired doctors and volunteers have been asked to help with the testing (doing the swipes), but I think, I´ll stay with my good ol' microscope. If things go really, really bad, we might be called for emergency help at the wards, but boy, if I was a patient I would not like to hear that my "physician" was a pathologist who spent the last 25 years looking at glass-slides.
Best wishes to all of you,
Martin

Posts: 202 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised at the variety of responses here in the US--due in part, I presume, to the lack of a coherent message coming from the WH.

We're on total lockdown here in Oregon, just slightly less than mandatory self-isolation. Schools, restaurants, non-essential stores are largely closed, people seem to be taking the social distancing thing seriously. But other places have zero restrictions, and not even a message other than "wash your hands." It's bizarre.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post