well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The corruption of Lindsey Graham

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The corruption of Lindsey Graham
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
A very long read...

quote:
THE REPUBLICAN PARTY WAS IN BIG TROUBLE, and Lindsey Graham knew it. It was January 21, 2016, and the senator was taking questions at a press conference. A month earlier, he had abandoned his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination. Now two men he despised, Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz, were leading the race.

Graham thought either of them, if nominated, would lose the general election. Choosing between them, he told reporters, was “like being shot or poisoned. What does it really matter?”

Two months later, in March, Graham changed his mind. He endorsed Cruz and joked that it was better to be poisoned than shot. “Donald is like being shot in the head,” Graham told talk-show host Trevor Noah. “You might find an antidote to poisoning, I don’t know. But maybe there’s time.”

Graham was wrong. Trump wasn’t a shot to the head. He didn’t kill the GOP. In fact, he won the election.

Trump turned out to be poison. Over the next five years, he thoroughly corrupted Graham’s party. Republican leaders had time to counteract the poison, but they never did. One reason was that the poison moved slowly. Graham and other Republican politicians lost the ability to see what they were becoming. They rallied around an authoritarian, excused authoritarian acts, and embraced authoritarian ideas.

This is a story about how that happened.

https://specialto.thebulwark.c...on-of-lindsey-graham

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37830 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I despise him.

Posts: 12519 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
As do I.

The contract on America pretty much said it all.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34875 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm going to dentist. Can't read now.

On second thought, I don't want to let that corrupt (no doubt) closet case occupy my mind.

I comfort myself with knowing his political career can't last forever.

Posts: 24674 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
IMO Graham defines South Carolina. My contempt for Lindsey extends to his state.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25689 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
As an aside, my maternal grandmother's family have lived in North Carolina since the 1700's.

Accepting my grandmother, her sister, and their mother, everyone there hated me (I don't think it's too strong a word).

Being gay was beyond the pale for them but even worse (I feel certain)-- they did not think of me as white because I'm half Semitic.

My skin was a different color than theirs and it made me an outcast to them.

I think it's because they lived with people who looked just like themselves practically forever.

I'm not excusing it. I'm just making a note of it.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I'm going to dentist. Can't read now.

Going to the dentist is probably better than thinking about Graham Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37830 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Lol. Big Grin

It was great. A female dentist. She'll be doing the follow up. I liked her a lot.