well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    2022 Nobel Prizes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2022 Nobel Prizes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Pioneering Quantum Physicists Win Nobel Prize in Physics

Alain Aspect, John Clauser and Anton Zeilinger have won the 2022 Nobel Prize in Physics for groundbreaking experiments with entangled particles.

he physicists Alain Aspect, John Clauser and Anton Zeilinger have won the 2022 Nobel Prize in Physics for experiments that proved the profoundly strange quantum nature of reality. Their experiments collectively established the existence of a bizarre quantum phenomenon known as entanglement, where two widely separated particles appear to share information despite having no conceivable way of communicating.

https://www.quantamagazine.org...in-physics-20221004/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More winners. Chemistry and physiology/medicine:

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/06...aabo-bertozzi-meldal

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Literature.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/a...e-in-literature-is-2

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I keep checking the list, hoping to see my name.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Try again. Your name was spelled "John".

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

I keep looking for your name as well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Have they announced the one for accounting yet? (Crosses fingers…)

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need … they will call you if you win.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
He'll hang up because he won't recognize the number in Sweden ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Peace.

quote:
This year's Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to human rights advocate Ales Bialiatski from Belarus, as well as two human rights organizations, Memorial in Russia and the Center for Civil Liberties in Ukraine.

The awards were named on Friday by Berit Reiss-Andsersen, chairperson of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, and came as war rages in Eastern Europe.

The recipients all come from a region still grappling with the legacy of the collapse of the Soviet Union, growing political repression, and the consequences of Russia's war in Ukraine.

quote:
Observers said the Nobel Committee's decision reflected a sense that Europe's future was at stake in a region that has seen a rise in authoritarianism but could one day see democratic change.

"I think the message is clear: 'We are not pro- or anti-country,' " says Kadri Liik, a Russia and Eastern Europe expert at the European Council on Foreign Relations, in assessing the Nobel committee's choice.

"'We are pro-democracy and human rights,' " is Nobel's message, added Liik.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/07...-ukraine-and-belarus

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Nobel Prize in economics was awarded to Ben Bernanke, Douglas Diamond and Philip Dybvig on Monday for their research on banks and financial crises.

Bernanke, of The Brookings Institute, served as chair of the Federal Reserve from 2006 to 2014, where he oversaw the central bank's response to the Great Recession. Diamond is a professor at The University of Chicago. Dybvig is a professor at Washington University in St. Louis.

https://abcnews.go.com/Busines...nd/story?id=91033668

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
One of my early W&M students went to Princeton for grad school and worked with Bernanke.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Go, Helicopter Ben, go!

One of Bernanke’s older papers, on “helicopter money”:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog...-3-helicopter-money/

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post