well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dr My Pillow
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr My Pillow
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
To the alarm of some government health officials, President Trump has expressed enthusiasm for the Food and Drug Administration to permit an extract from the oleander plant to be marketed as a dietary supplement or, alternatively, approved as a drug to cure COVID-19, despite lack of proof that it works.

Driving the news: The experimental botanical extract, oleandrin, was promoted to Trump during an Oval Office meeting in July. It's embraced by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson and MyPillow founder and CEO Mike Lindell, a big Trump backer, who recently took a financial stake in the company that develops the product.

Lindell told Axios that in the meeting, Trump "basically said: …'The FDA should be approving it.'"

https://www.axios.com/trump-co...3a-65ebad113d41.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37658 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Growing up in CA, the one thing we learned as kids is that castor beans and oleander ave very, very poisonous.

This can't end well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34804 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Growing up in CA, the one thing we learned as kids is that castor beans and oleander ave very, very poisonous.

This can't end well.

Even if you have a shot of bleach with it?

Posts: 10333 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That was my first thought as well. Stay away from the oleander!

Posts: 35361 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no public data showing oleandrin has ever been tested in animals or humans for its efficacy against COVID-19, but the extract has shown some evidence of inhibiting the virus in a non-peer reviewed laboratory study.

In an interview on Saturday, Whitney told Axios that oleandrin has been tested on humans for its efficacy against COVID-19 but said the study has not been published yet. He also said the lab study is in the process of being peer reviewed.

The paper: Prophylactic and Therapeutic Inhibition of In Vitro SARS-CoV-2 Replication by Oleandrin

I also found this study. Not sure if it's the same product as the one the Dr My Pillow is touting:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04486144

But I'm guessing this will send people running to buy Dr My Pillow's product....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37658 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
He was just on CNN with Anderson cooper and Anderson put him to shame.

Quite embarrassing.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

TOPLINE
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell – who has been pushing, with the president’s apparent support, an unproven coronavirus treatment that could possibly be toxic – said Tuesday he was asked by the administration to gather leads on potential treatments for the White House coronavirus task force.

Lindell told CNN host Anderson Cooper that “this great administration” asked him to “bring back to the [White House coronavirus] task force” anything that is promising to fight coronavirus, be they “good sanitizers or cures.”

Lindell and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Dr. Ben Carson have been privately promoting a drug called Oleandrin to Trump, who said in July that “the FDA should be approving it,” Axios’ Jonathan Swan reported.

Trump seemed to support the extract – which Forbes contributor Bruce Y. Lee called “an extract from a highly toxic plant with no real proof that it works against SARS-CoV2 infections in humans.” – telling reporters on Monday that he will “look at it.”

Lindell – who has no medical degrees – was slammed in the interview for pushing the drug to Trump while serving on the board of directors for Phoenix Biotechnology, a company manufacturing the extract, with Cooper alleging he “stands to make money from this.”

Cooper also questioned the scientific veracity of Lindell’s claim that the drug has been “tested by over 1,000 people,” asserting, “there are no public peer-reviewed studies about this” and demanding Lindell produce the test, to which Lindell replied “I don’t have the test.”

“You have no medical background, there is no evidence of this substance, it hasn’t been tested in animals or humans,” Cooper castigated Lindell, labeling him a “snake oil salesman.”

CHIEF CRITIC

“The involvement of the Secretary of HUD and MyPillow.com in pushing a dubious product at the highest levels should give Americans no comfort at night about their health and safety during a raging pandemic,” a senior Trump administration official told Axios.

https://news.google.com/articl...S&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Elect clowns, expect a circus.

Posts: 34804 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We can get medically helpful stuff from deadly poisonous plants.

Digitalis (Digoxin) came from Foxglove. Atropine came from Deadly Nightshade.

On the other hand, as a kid, Oleander was something we were constantly warned about. And every year people would die or go blind because somebody burned a pile of it. In south Florida, if the Oleander didn't get you and the mosquitoes didn't carry you off into the night you could always get bitten by a coral snake or a shark, or accidentally brush your face after touching a Cane Toad. The place is damn dangerous ... and then there are alligators. Big Grin

Posts: 12477 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Maybe just take a highly diluted homeopathic dose... Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13767 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We can get medically helpful stuff from deadly poisonous

Just so, but forgive me if I refuse a dose from Dr. “My Pillow” HairRaising

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I hope he's better with medicine than his pillows. They suck.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13509 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We can get medically helpful stuff from deadly poisonous plants.

Digitalis (Digoxin) came from Foxglove. Atropine came from Deadly Nightshade.

Yup. And of course there is the possibility that oleandrin might be another one.

The article in the OP said this:

quote:
The science: Oleandrin is an extract from the oleander plant. Researchers have suggested that it could be useful to treat cancer because of the way it affects cells, and that it could enhance the effects of other cancer therapies.

Professor Sharon Lewin, the director of the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity at the University of Melbourne, is an international authority on antiviral drugs and has a laboratory working on COVID-19.

Asked about oleandrin's potential efficacy as a COVID-19 treatment, Lewin told Axios, "Oleandrin looks to have antiviral activity at high doses in a test tube model. You'd certainly want to see more work done on this before even contemplating a human trial."

I'll wait for the studies, thankyouverymuch.

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I hope he's better with medicine than his pillows. They suck.

hysteric

I've never tried one of his pillows, but the ads certainly are annoying...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18292 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post