well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Advice on hooks/hanging hardware for outdoor plants?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on hooks/hanging hardware for outdoor plants?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
My daughter would like to hang a few flowering plants at the front of her house. There are two potential options to doing this:

1) Put a screw-in hook on the top (wooden) beam of the roof that covers her front entryway, something like this:

2) Put a screw-in hook on the front (wooden) pillar of the entryway, something like this.

My concern for both is whether they are strong enough to not pull out of the wood when they're holding a hanging pot of flowers (say 12 inch in diameter hanging pot with pansies or similar). We've had similar wall hooks pull off of the siding of our house simply due to the weight of the pot, dirt and water.

Any advice/ideas? I really don't want to have to patch and repaint the beams or pillar because the hooks have pulled out due to weight.

Thanks!

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The overhead hook will work fine. If you’re looking for something more original search “Lantern hook” on EBay. Most of them were bronze and quite decorative.

I can’t open the second link, but I think you’ll want something with an arm on it. How you mount it will depend on how the pillar is made.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Steve-- you're too fast! I'm still editing because I'm URL challenged apparently.

The post should work now. I think. Gaaaah.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've had these up for at least ten years. The post is pressure treated lumber. I've had big bird feeders full of seed and they are solid as a rock. The hangers were kinda different than a lot of the stuff I saw; they're forged metal. edit: I see the ones you posted are wrought iron and look kind of similar.

I got the large size (12") at Menards:

https://www.menards.com/main/p...226821208179&ipos=10

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37852 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The arms you post will work fine. Ditch the crummy plastic anchors and install them with toggle bolts, unless you can hit solid wood.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'd forget plastic anchors and/or toggle bolts if there is an overhanging roof rafter or a post/stud in the wall that can have lag bolts, sturdy screws or a threaded hook installed. Masonry anchors are normally plenty study if secured into solid brick or masonry when wood framing members are not available for attachments.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'm tracking, because I don't see how a toggle bolt would work. What she's trying to put the hanger onto is a solid 4x4 piece of wood that's forming the pillar on her front entry. I've only used toggle bolts for things like hanging on drywall where I can't find a stud. The pillar seems like it's the mother of all studs.

How would a toggle bolt work?

Here's a photo of the area I'm talking about:

It would hang off of either the vertical pillar to the right, or the horizontal beam at the top.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you are screwing in to wood just use regular screws. Predrill the hole a little smaller than the screw to make life much easier.

Pretty house, BTW.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Thanks... it's not hers Smiler. Hers is the one next door, with a different front but generally the same idea. I couldn't find a good pic of the front of her place online.

I'm also thinking that it might be wise to perhaps swap out the screws that come with the hooks for something a bit longer? Or is that overkill and I'm being paranoid? It just seems to me that a lot of the time the provided screws are wimpy.

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

I'm also thinking that it might be wise to perhaps swap out the screws that come with the hooks for something a bit longer?

This is what I do. I have just bought new screws for my flag bracket for just this reason...Better safe than sorry.

But dang...the new screws are never the right color..so I am out there with permanent marker or paint to over the heads once they are in. VeryAngry

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I always swap out the screws because the ones that come with such things as brackets and curtain rods are invariably junk.

You won’t need much longer - plants just don’t weigh that much.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Deck screws!

Essentially galvanized self-tapping drywall screws. I've used them for years for anything outside. Just shoot em in with a cordless drill...

They come in all sorts of lengths.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7550 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of deck screws, but I just googled them and they seem like a good idea. The website I looked at recommended stainless for wet areas, which seems like the best way to go.

I'll try to post the final result once she has a final result. Thanks for all the tips, people!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You can use the coated deck screws. Home Depot carries Deck Mate. They come in a bunch of colors.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/de...te%2520screws?NCNI-5

They come in boxes and the minimum is a pound of screws which is way more than she'll need. I have a bunch leftover from various projects. I can check and see what lengths I have; I could send a dozen or so to your daughter....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37852 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I use deck screws a lot because they are stronger than wood rockets. They have the advantage of being paintable as well.