well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I solved the problem of carry-on luggage on airplanes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I solved the problem of carry-on luggage on airplanes
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, instead of making people pay to check a bag, why not allow passengers to check bags for free, but make them pay to put a bag in the overhead bin?

Wouldn't this make more people check their bags, reduce gate-checking, and speed up the boarding and deboarding process?

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to think of this.

Also I'm pretty sure this idea has a few major flaws (for one thing, the overhead bins themselves are different for different aircrafts, and there are usually more seats than bin spots).

But for about 30 seconds, I was convinced I'd solved this problem.

suave

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention this. I just saw an ad for Shipgo a few days ago...

https://www.shipgo.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of that, but there are services like that in Japan.

I have this on my radar because one of my upcoming trips have a 45 minute layover, which I am really not happy about but the other options were awful.

Any small delay increases the risk of missing the connection, so I decided I probably need to check a bag rather than risk having a carry-on which might not fit above, because if I have to plane-side check it, standing around waiting for the carry-on at the gate could slow things down more.

Sigh.

This is why I hate traveling.

But the flights for my trip a few weeks ago was ok, despite weather issues and various things.

Oh, and I didn't get sick either, so that was good of course!
Yes

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Something should be done.
Enforcing the current regulations would be a good start.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I've never heard of that, but there are services like that in Japan.

I have this on my radar because one of my upcoming trips have a 45 minute layover, which I am really not happy about but the other options were awful.

Any small delay increases the risk of missing the connection, so I decided I probably need to check a bag rather than risk having a carry-on which might not fit above, because if I have to plane-side check it, standing around waiting for the carry-on at the gate could slow things down more.

Sigh.

This is why I hate traveling.

But the flights for my trip a few weeks ago was ok, despite weather issues and various things.

Oh, and I didn't get sick either, so that was good of course!
Yes

Usually when they gate-check for you (beg you to check your bag because the flight is full), they check your bag to your final destination. You don’t have to wait for it at your layover.

For a short layover, I prefer to not check my bag because I don’t trust that it will make the transfer on time!

As long as your bag is regulation sized, it will usually fit in the overhead. I like the new overhead bins where you turn your luggage onto its side, like a library book. You can fit a lot more luggage up there in the newer configuration!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Usually when they gate-check for you (beg you to check your bag because the flight is full), they check your bag to your final destination. You don’t have to wait for it at your layover.

For a short layover, I prefer to not check my bag because I don’t trust that it will make the transfer on time!

All the more so, since I always pack my indispensables in the carry on - things I figure I will need even just for overnight (things I need in case my big bag - if there IS a big bag - gets lost.)

Even things which in such as pinch, I could manage with for the whole trip. Being officially "handicapped", I get to board early so I don't risk not being able to easily fit my carry-on in the remaining overhead space.

What I'm wondering about is whether all airlines will allow me to carry on my "walking sticks" - I don't always need them, but if I DO, I do. (Some airlines consider them potential weapons.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

On American, if they gate-check bc the flight is full, the check it through to your final destination. But if they gate-check bc it’s a small plane and even a carry-on that would normally fit won’t fit in the overhead bin, then you have to get the carry-on at the gate at the end of that flight.

At least that’s what they were doing when I flew last (about two weeks ago).

For my upcoming trip, the one with the super short layover, at least one of the planes is a puddle jumper — two seats on one side of the aisle, and only one seat on the other side.

-_-

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

On American, if they gate-check bc the flight is full, the check it through to your final destination. But if they gate-check bc it’s a small plane and even a carry-on that would normally fit won’t fit in the overhead bin, then you have to get the carry-on at the gate at the end of that flight.

For my upcoming trip, the one with the super short layover, at least one of the planes is a puddle jumper — two seats on one side of the aisle, and only one seat on the other side.

-_-

Oh, yes, that’s a different proposition. Some of our regional flights are like that, but I haven’t been on a plane that small in many years.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-_-

When I have flown small regional airlines that did gate check, the luggage is always sitting in the skybridge when I’ve disembarked. It’s like they open the door and immediately place the luggage out in the jetway before letting passengers off. Obviously this will vary depending on the airline and airport. If you ended up having to gate check a bag, you could always mention to the attendant that you have a tight connection and they can probably help. When I’ve had tight connections I’ve always had very helpful attendants. They don’t want to be the reason someone misses a connection!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I have flown small regional airlines that did gate check, the luggage is always sitting in the skybridge when I’ve disembarked. It’s like they open the door and immediately place the luggage out in the jetway before letting passengers off. Obviously this will vary depending on the airline and airport.

On my flights two weeks ago, getting gate-checked bags was very slow every time. If I have a 1.5 hour connection, this isn't an issue, but for my trip next month, one of my flights has a 45 minute connection

quote:
If you ended up having to gate check a bag, you could always mention to the attendant that you have a tight connection and they can probably help. When I’ve had tight connections I’ve always had very helpful attendants. They don’t want to be the reason someone misses a connection!

I think this probably only works when 1) the flight is not overbooked, and 2) there are no weather or concerns.

Anyway, I'm not optimistic about traveling in general, so! :P