well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    State of the Union Watching, You?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the Union Watching, You?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Nope. My tolerance for distortion, outright lies, and narcissism is pretty much down to zero.

Heard a few snippets on the radio this morning.

By what measure is the U.S. now once again respected in the world?

Wages for some of the lowest paid are up only because several states passed laws to increase minimum wage. At least around here, Republicans fought those laws vigorously.

And now, Congress is broken, our democracy is broken, and I-1 takes one huge step toward claiming authoritarian powers.

The State of our Union is not good.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Nope. My tolerance for distortion, outright lies, and narcissism is pretty much down to zero.

Heard a few snippets on the radio this morning.

By what measure is the U.S. now once again respected in the world?

Wages for some of the lowest paid are up only because several states passed laws to increase minimum wage. At least around here, Republicans fought those laws vigorously.

And now, Congress is broken, our democracy is broken, and I-1 takes one huge step toward claiming authoritarian powers.

The State of our Union is not good.

+1

Pelosi made a statement. Good.

Limbaugh mocked Michael J. Fox when Fox announced that he had Parkinson's. Limbaugh jerked and shook amd made fun of Fox.
I approve of Limbaugh's cancer.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That wasn't a State of the Union address. It was a Trump rally. "Four more years" from the gallery? Please.

This is just a taste of the new, "I'm totally exonerated" Donald Trump.

And Rush Limbaugh getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom ...? Who's next? Milania gets it for "being nice to me"?

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that. Really? Presidential Medal of Freedom for being a loud-mouth conspiracy theory-spreading jerk who paved the way for dozens more even worse like Ann Coulter and Alex Jones? Sickening.

I wonder if anyone is going to return their PMoF in protest.

Yeah, he will tweet that he has been totally exonerated and vindicated, just like he did after the Mueller Report and Bill Barr "summarizing" it in a way that yielded the exact opposite of what the report said. Sickening.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of Copper
posted Hide Post
Mr. Trump was heroic last night.

After the nonsense he has had to endure.

Heroic.

And the achievements of the country during his administration, spectacular!

God bless Mr. Trump.

Posts: 2261 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Trump showed restraint and maturity by not mentioning the impeachment or any of the other witch hunts. I thought it was a great speech. I am very pleased with the job he is doing as President and I hope for another four years.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
So much bitterness and TDS here.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Yep. Its a good speech. Pelosi is disgracing herself.

Yeah, by offering to shake his hand, which he ignored.

quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
She started the disrespect With her abbreviated announcement of him coming to the podium and continued throughout.

I assume you've heard that he's refused to speak to her since October.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copper:
Mr. Trump was heroic last night.

After the nonsense he has had to endure.

Heroic.

And the achievements of the country during his administration, spectacular!

God bless Mr. Trump.

If the God is Hades, OK, sure.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Hades does like Trump.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My perspective:
What Pelosi did was necessary. She had to do something to let the world know that his speech is unacceptable and she has our backs. I think it sent a strong and critical message to the country--this will not stand. It was cathartic. If she did nothing we would feel powerless.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Did she do that patronizing extended-arm hand clap thing again?

That was priceless.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s act of rebellion during President Trump’s State of the Union address Tuesday night came from her sense of political savvy. Fred Guttenberg‘s act of rebellion came from the heart, a heart in pain, a heart irrevocably broken.

And it seemed particularly heartless for him to be removed from the balcony gallery by security of after he shouted out in the name of his slain daughter when Trump failed to address any attempt on his part to confront gun violence in America.

Guttenberg’s daughter Jaime was killed in the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas in Parkland. Pelosi had invited him to attend the State of Union speech.

The pain of Jaime’s death has turned Guttenberg into a well-known gun control activist. He keeps his daughter’s name alive by reminding us how senselessly she died in our own backyard.

Who can blame him. He speaks for the millions of Americans who have been affected by gun violence.

Tuesday, as Trump finished saying, “So long as I am president, I will always protect your Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms,” Republicans began to cheer. Guttenberg, sitting with the South Florida delegation, likely fumed at the president’s total dismissal of America’s gun-violence problem.

As the cheers quieted, Guttenberg could be briefly heard in the chamber saying: “victims of gun violence like my daughter . . .”

Security came and took Guttenberg away as the shocked South Florida delegation sitting around him watched him be led off.

quote:
A contrite Guttenberg apologized on Twitter early Wednesday:

“I disrupted the State Of the Union and was detained because I let my emotions get the best of me. I simply want to be able to deal with the reality of gun violence and not have to listen to the lies about the 2A as happened tonight.

“I should not have yelled out. I am thankful for the overwhelming support that I am receiving. However, I do owe my family and friends an apology. I have tried to conduct myself with dignity throughout this process and I will do better as I pursue gun safety.”

Guttenberg was immediately comforted by followers who assured him:

“No apology needed.”

Except maybe one from the White House.

https://www.miamiherald.com/op...rticle239985933.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
House Republican Whip Steve Scalise slammed Speaker Nancy Pelosi for ripping up President Trump's speech after he concluded his remarks on Tuesday evening, calling the action "disgraceful."

"I thought it was disgraceful. It's unbecoming of a speaker," Scalise said in an interview with CBS News chief Washington correspondent Major Garrett for "The Takeout" podcast. "Frankly, Speaker Pelosi should apologize as well, because it's not the image she should want to portray as the speaker of the House."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/s...-takeout-02-07-2020/

I don't think Pelosi should have resorted to Trumpesque grandstanding.

But I cannot believe that someone like Scalise chooses to call her out for it after three years of silence regarding his Trumpness and all of his less than presidential acitons.

SMH.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post