well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    If we're going to start playing the coronavirus blame game...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If we're going to start playing the coronavirus blame game...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I'm sure by now you've all seen this chart showing how one man infected almost 100 people:

Most articles seem to have some variation on this title: Nearly 100 people in Ohio got sick after one man infected with the coronavirus attended a church service

I get it, the message is that one person can set of a chain of events that infects an incredible number. And that's an important message.

But if we're going to start blaming people for making other people sick, let's put that blame on the church leaders who didn't move their services online. Let's put that blame on school district leaders who don't make masks required and implement unsafe practices in the return to classes (while threatening students with expulsion for not attending). Let's put that blame on state and federal leaders who don't enact mandatory mask ordinances. And let's put that blame right where it goes, on Trump and his WH for all of their failures with this disease at every step of the way.

VeryAngry

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think that graphic puts the facts out there. Smart people will understand what it says. The rest will do what they want regardless. It's a case of "it's your fault" vs "here are the results of taking action X".

The blame game is rarely effective in changing anyone's mind.

Shrug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37795 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, but it feels good ... Wink

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, I agree with you. And I don't have a problem with the graphic, putting it first in the post may have given the wrong impression. My complaint is with the way those headlines are written. I think it will encourage people to continue putting the blame on individuals, when 1) most of it lies with leaders, and 2) everyone should be wearing masks now as a matter of course.

You commented about smart people, but I don't think that's a helpful way to think about what's happening in this country, and I'm not ready to write off everyone who's resisting masking as dumb, for example. The public messaging around the virus, around masking and so on, is a huge mess and has been from the beginning. A lot of smart people have been swayed by that. How do we get them to change their behavior? I posted somewhere else (maybe facebook actually) that what is most needed in the US right now is to change hearts and minds (for example, with regard to masking and also with regard to personal responsibility for public health). That is a massive task, and every message matters.

And to be clear, I'm not saying "playing the blame game" is the way to do that, in that regard, I was just venting mostly :P

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't read the headline as blaming someone. I think it presents factual information.

Using "smart" wasn't the best word choice.

quote:
A lot of smart people have been swayed by that. How do we get them to change their behavior?

Show them stuff like this:

and this:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37795 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

Yeah, but it feels good ... Wink

True dat.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Show them stuff like this

But it has to come from someone they will listen to. It seems like you're saying "well, just show everyone this" and it's self-evident. Well, I think it's self-evident, but for far too many people, that's not how it works.

So the message needs to come from religious leaders, school leaders, athletes and their coaches.... And Trump. Imagine if he started really encouraging everyone to wear masks. Imagine if he start showing up everywhere in one.

If there's any hope of changing people's minds, there needs to be critical mass of messaging, with everyone saying the same thing in the same way. We don't have that, and you can see the results when you see and hear about the anti-maskers and the "this is just like the flu" comments which persist to this day.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it has to come from someone they will listen to. It seems like you're saying "well, just show everyone this" and it's self-evident. Well, I think it's self-evident, but for far too many people, that's not how it works.

So the message needs to come from religious leaders, school leaders, athletes and their coaches.... And Trump. Imagine if he started really encouraging everyone to wear masks. Imagine if he start showing up everywhere in one.

Certainly a worthy goal. How do you achieve it?

People make decisions based on a whole host of factors. For you and me, high on the list are our own health and safety. For others, the factors may be financial or political or religious.

Do you think the individuals, the influencers you've named and whose behavior you want to see change haven't got the information they need to come to the same conclusion you have? I don't. I just think they have their reasons for acting as they do. And if the science of the virus isn't changing their minds, then it will take something else to change it. Like them or their loved ones getting the virus.

Scary, but that's human nature. People will continue behaviors until they are hurt by them. Think smoking, the tobacco industry, and all the politicians who sustained the whole mess for decades....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The charts and graphs are great, but I still like this simple photo to illustrate how it spreads:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
But I thought James Comey and Hillary Clinton brought it back from Wuhan and hit it in a suitcase in the basement of that pizza place where they ran the pedophile ring?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
How can they tell which person started it? Maybe one of the others gave it to him.

And if he was the first in that group, so what? Unless he just hopped off a plane from China, he got it from someone in his community.

What is the point of this?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I believe the point is to realize it is easy to spread this while one is asymptomatic, or pre-symptomatic. That's why social distancing, personal hygiene and universal masking is important to prevent these types of spreading events.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I believe the point is to realize it is easy to spread this while one is asymptomatic, or pre-symptomatic. That's why social distancing, personal hygiene and universal masking is important to prevent these types of spreading events.

Yes.

And maybe the events themselves should be reconsidered, even with precautions.

Not to be the harbinger of doom, but a German study warned that, even among those who recovered, roughly three-quarters had muscle damage to their hearts or inflammation to the heart months after recovery.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I guess I don't read the headline as blaming someone. I think it presents factual information.

Using "smart" wasn't the best word choice.

quote:
A lot of smart people have been swayed by that. How do we get them to change their behavior?

Show them stuff like this:

and this:

This graphic is from Ohio's Department of Health. I see it as factual information, too. It's the kind of PSA you'd expect given the source.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

And let's put that blame right where it goes, on Trump and his WH for all of their failures with this disease at every step of the way.

I strongly agree with you that it was/is the federal government's role and responsibility.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post