well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Air fryer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air fryer?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I've been hearing a lot about air fryers, and while I don't really want another kitchen gadget I like the idea.

Does anyone have one? How does it work?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No but I have been eyeing them for a while. That said we were lazy last night and got Cracker Barrel Southern fried chicken delivered. It. Is. Awesome.

Healthy? Not so much. Delicious? Absolutely.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
No but I have been eyeing them for a while. That said we were lazy last night and got Cracker Barrel Southern fried chicken delivered. It. Is. Awesome.

That reminds me. I heard a podcast with J. Kenji Lopez Alt - the "Food Lab" guy. He said the trick to perfect fried chicken is to fry it twice, at least one day apart.

The recipe he gave at the end of the piece started with "buy fried chicken at Popeyes and put it in the refrigerator." Cool

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if these air fryers are the current incarnation of a countertop convection oven that we had back in the 90s. Mr wtg and I just can't remember the brand name.

Looked something like this, but ours had stackable rings that allowed you to increase/decrease the height of the cooking chamber:

It had a motor and fan on the top. You put the food on the metal rack in the bottom and turned the thing on. Food cooked faster than a conventional oven and you got nice crisping, almost fried-like. Only problem was cleaning the damn thing. The plastic scratched like heck just from the circulating wind and food flying around (if the pieces were too small or had a breading they couldn't stand up to the wind velocity), and the fan on inside of the top was near impossible to keep clean. Did a good job of cooking, but we got rid of it because it was a pain to clean and it ended up being one more small appliance we just didn't use enough to justify storing it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I'm wondering if these air fryers are the current incarnation of a countertop convection oven that we had back in the 90s. Mr wtg and I just can't remember the brand name.

Looked something like this, but ours had stackable rings that allowed you to increase/decrease the height of the cooking chamber:

It had a motor and fan on the top. You put the food on the metal rack in the bottom and turned the thing on. Food cooked faster than a conventional oven and you got nice crisping, almost fried-like. Only problem was cleaning the damn thing. The plastic scratched like heck just from the circulating wind and food flying around (if the pieces were too small or had a breading they couldn't stand up to the wind velocity), and the fan on inside of the top was near impossible to keep clean. Did a good job of cooking, but we got rid of it because it was a pain to clean and it ended up being one more small appliance we just didn't use enough to justify storing it.

We just got a new toaster oven that has air fry as one of its modes. Mary Anna wanted to try it, but we haven’t done so yet.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only problem was cleaning the damn thing.

According to reviews that's the biggest problem with the Cuisinart unit I was looking at. Air frying temp is so high that it bakes on a residue you couldn't remove with dynamite. Eventually trying to clean it results in the finish being removed on the interior racks and baskets.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco online seems to carry the major brands, and I know I’ve seen several of them go on sale. Costco’s money back policy would make it easy to return if the thing ended up being a disaster.

https://www.costco.com/Catalog...ll&keyword=Air+fryer

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

That reminds me. I heard a podcast with J. Kenji Lopez Alt - the "Food Lab" guy. He said the trick to perfect fried chicken is to fry it twice, at least one day apart.

The recipe he gave at the end of the piece started with "buy fried chicken at Popeyes and put it in the refrigerator." Cool
Popeye's and Cracker Barrel's are just fine as they are. I see no reason to revisit them, and I don't have the desire to cook anything twice.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Only problem was cleaning the damn thing.

According to reviews that's the biggest problem with the Cuisinart unit I was looking at. Air frying temp is so high that it bakes on a residue you couldn't remove with dynamite. Eventually trying to clean it results in the finish being removed on the interior racks and baskets.

Four words.

Soak in Barkeeper’s Friend.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Popeye's and Cracker Barrel's are just fine as they are. I see no reason to revisit them, and I don't have the desire to cook anything twice.

You only cook it once. Popeyes cooks it the first time. Supposed to work with french fries too. Cool

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Popeye’s chicken is already perfect. Ditto their biscuits. And they make the only commercial gravy that I’m willing to eat. I put it on their biscuits.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Their Al Copeland red beans and rice are one of the best things you can get at a fast food joint.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Yup. I always get red beans and rice as my side. They make them completely differently than I do, but they're very good.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Oops. This is Mary Anna on Quirt's computer. Mine is on the fritz.

I've seen him eat red beans and rice, but probably not at Popeye's.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
They serve them at Copeland's restaurants, of which we used to have one very close to me. They were as an appetizer with big slices of andouille sausage. Fantastic. A whole meal for I think $6. Beans were similar to Popeye's but more seasoned. Sadly the closest one to me now is in Atlanta.