well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Peloton recalling all treadmills
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peloton recalling all treadmills
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Just be careful. Inspect your surroundings every time, use the clip thing. I keep my phone nearby, just in case.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have never understood using clip-in pedals on an exercise bike. The point of an exercise bike is to burn calories and develop muscles. The point of clips is to pedal more efficiently -- that is, burn fewer calories per inch traveled because you exert force on part of the upswing, not just the downward travel of the pedal.

When I was riding my road bike on rollers, I left the clips on as a matter of convenience and to maintain the skill of being attached to the bike.

But with something like a Peloton or other stationary bike, I just don't get the point of clipping in.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Jogging or running outside in Washington DC in the summer? No, thanks. You need gills.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Clip ins make scraping and pulling around the circle doable and the motion is not simply mashing down.
Few actually pull all the way around.
Greg LeMond said the motion should be as though you have stepped in something and you are trying to scrape it off your shoe. Clip ins help that.
That makes a great visual to encourage the motion.

More recent: Better pedal stroke

This takes me back to the days when I was a bicycle racing legend in my own mind.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
The treadmill was great for when it was rainy, dark, and cold; I haven’t been on it since it started getting nicer. I’d much rather walk outside!

I did just ask Mr. AM to use the clip when he uses the treadmill, and I will, too. We use the treadmill for brisk walking, no running.

The one thing I miss about the gym is the elliptical. I could feel like I was running, but it was nearly impossible to fall down. I’m a klutz.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I thought the "clip thing" in this context was for treadmills, and was a dead switch. You keel over or somehow leave the treadmill while it's running and it will automatically turn off.

Not toe clips on a bike.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought people are talking about both kinds of clips.

quote:
I only use the bike, which seems safe. If I were to pass out, I imagine I would rip my knees off my body because I’m clipped in.

quote:
P.S. I "yelled" at Mr. SK one time for using the treadmill without attaching that clip to himself (the one that turns of the machine if you pull it).

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
Wait...so how is this any different from any other treadmill?

Just wondering.....

I am with Cindy..GO OUTSIDE! Yes

Peloton's belt is different. It's slats, rather than a continuous belt. The only other one that I know that uses slats is Woodway, which is off-the-charts expensive but is also self-powered ... you stop running, it stops moving.

I really like my treadmill. It allows me to vary the incline, watch television to distract myself from how bored I am, etc. And it doesn't allow me to unconsciously slow down and take it easy.

Different strokes for different folks.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re the clip, yep, there are two clips being talked about! Cindy's clips might cause an injury, my clip might prevent one. Hopefully neither of us will ever have to find out!

quote:
Peloton's belt is different. It's slats, rather than a continuous belt.

Oh wow, I didn't know this. So are the slats more dangerous, or just different-dangerous?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Peloton's also working on a cheaper treadmill, with a conventional belt. I think I heard it's on sale in Europe already.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Re the clip, yep, there are two clips being talked about! Cindy's clips might cause an injury, my clip might prevent one. Hopefully neither of us will ever have to find out!

quote:
Peloton's belt is different. It's slats, rather than a continuous belt.

Oh wow, I didn't know this. So are the slats more dangerous, or just different-dangerous?

The reports have been that it presents a greater danger to kids/pets because body parts can get caught between the slats, which cannot happen on a continuous belt. Imagine a body part caught in between slats, then the body caught underneath, while the belt is moving.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine a body part caught in between slats, then the body caught underneath, while the belt is moving.

Frowner

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From story linked in the original post:

quote:
The regulatory agency said Peloton’s treadmills are designed differently than its peers, with “an unusual belt design that uses individual rigid rubberized slats or treads that are interlocked and ride on a rail.” That’s instead of a thinner, continuous belt. There is also a large gap between the floor and the belt of the Tread+, leaving room for things to wiggle their way under.

quote:
The smaller, cheaper version is already on sale in the U.K. and it doesn’t include the same rigid slats as the Tread+.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Re the clip, yep, there are two clips being talked about!

Wait, you mean the conversation has drifted?? Oh the horrors! ROTFLMAO

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, Ole