well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your onions, please. Favorites.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your onions, please. Favorites.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
What's your favorite allium? What do you put them in?

Chives are near the top of my list. Fresh picked from garden in spring. In scrambled eggs.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Found them at a famer's market in Moab. They were purple and had a very strong odor and flavor.
Went back the next week. The seller was not there.
I have looked at the local market to no avail.
À la recherche du temps perdu. Frowner

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It depends. If it's something that I'm going to cook for a long time (like a stew or curry) then I'll just go with your plain ol' brown or yellow onions, whatever's on sale.

If it's something where the onion is either uncooked or featured (like an onion slice on a burger, or onion rings, caramelized onions, etc.) I will try to get Vidalias.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like red onions raw on burgers and salads, and white onions in Mexican food.

For long cooks I’ve started using leeks because I like the traditional idea of them and the tops are good for stock.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
For most cooking, it's usually common yellow onions or white onions for stronger flavor.

Shallots in some dishes, particularly when they arrive in our CSA share.

Garlic in a lot of dishes.

I like a slice of Vidalia or similar sweet onion on a hamburger.

Red onions in salad.

Green onions raw or in Chinese dishes.

We had potato and leek soup for dinner last night.

Does anyone have ramps in their region? They're a short-time spring item, more so south of us in West Virginia where some organizations have ramps festivals when they're in season.

Chives as an accent but only in the summer when I can cut them from the plants growing outside the house.

I'm not sure there's an allium I don't like. Big Grin

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7402 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When I was a law student parties involved arguments.
We would call the Vidalia State Patrol office and tell the dispatcher about the disagreement.
They became accustomed to our
calls and would joke with us and make the final decision.
The ruling was made and the decision would stand.

Back to the topic.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
When I was a law student parties involved arguments.

Back to the topic.

Don’t think I knew you were a law student? Also a lawyer?

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post