well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Gen. Milley committed treason ...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen. Milley committed treason ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Thank the Lord he did ...

Milley called his counterpart in China (Gen. Li) twice (in October before the election and on Jan. 8th) to assure him that the US wouldn't attack, or that if Trump ordered it Milley would inform Gen. Li in advance.

quote:
Milley also summoned senior officers to review the procedures for launching nuclear weapons, saying the president alone could give the order — but, crucially, that he, Milley, also had to be involved. Looking each in the eye, Milley asked the officers to affirm that they had understood, the authors write, in what he considered an “oath.”

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The ultimate threat.

quote:
So intent was Pence on being Trump’s loyal second-in-command — and potential successor — that he asked confidants if there were ways he could accede to Trump’s demands and avoid certifying the results of the election on Jan. 6. In late December, the authors reveal, Pence called Dan Quayle, a former vice president and fellow Indiana Republican, for advice.

Quayle was adamant, according to the authors. “Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away,” he said.

But Pence pressed him, the authors write, asking if there were any grounds to pause the certification because of ongoing legal challenges. Quayle was unmoved, and Pence ultimately agreed, according to the book.

When Pence said he planned to certify the results, the president lashed out. In the Oval Office on Jan. 5, the authors write, Pence told Trump he could not thwart the process, that his role was simply to “open the envelopes.”

I don’t want to be your friend anymore if you don’t do this ,” Trump replied, according to the book, later telling his vice president, “You’ve betrayed us. I made you. You were nothing.”

edit: No paywall:

https://www.stripes.com/theate...oodward-2887289.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37796 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
A similar logic could apply with Jan. 6, Milley thought as he wrestled with the meaning of that day, telling senior staff: “What you might have seen was a precursor to something far worse down the road."

Exactly the thought that has haunted me for awhile.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A man of his military background and training thought he had to break the rules because in his judgment, the situation was dangerous and needed action.

If this happened, it's disturbing on a whole bunch of levels.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37796 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have said that Milley should be cashiered for quite some time ... since the amazing military performance in DC for Trump's photo op.

Apparently Alex Vindman now agrees. Milley eroded civilian control of the military, and broke military chain of command.

Vindman calls for firing Milley

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More from the upcoming book.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...osta-book/ar-AAOrjws

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I have said that Milley should be cashiered for quite some time ... since the amazing military performance in DC for Trump's photo op.

Apparently Alex Vindman now agrees. Milley eroded civilian control of the military, and broke military chain of command.

Vindman calls for firing Milley

But what if his judgment was on target and the peril of the situation justified breaking what is ultimately "only" a rule - which may well have prevented atomic war?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's quite possible. It's also possibly quite a stretch. In any case, it doesn't really matter. He should resign as a matter of principle, explaining what he did and why he did it, and acknowledging that doing those things is indeed deeply problematic for our Constitutional order. Do we want generals freelancing US policy as they see fit? Going behind the president's back to do it? I certainly hope not. He stepped out of line for reasons he thought cogent, but then didn't have the courage to fall on his sword.

He should have done that before Biden was inaugurated. Instead he has worked to hold onto his precious chair.

P.S. I'm glad he did it. That doesn't translate into support for him staying in the job.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
PBS has some good coverage.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/s...-of-trump-presidency

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, that's quite possible. It's also possibly quite a stretch. In any case, it doesn't really matter. He should resign as a matter of principle, explaining what he did and why he did it, and acknowledging that doing those things is indeed deeply problematic for our Constitutional order. Do we want generals freelancing US policy as they see fit? Going behind the president's back to do it? I certainly hope not. He stepped out of line for reasons he thought cogent, but then didn't have the courage to fall on his sword.

He should have done that before Biden was inaugurated. Instead he has worked to hold onto his precious chair.

P.S. I'm glad he did it. That doesn't translate into support for him staying in the job.

+1

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

If he told President Biden what he did and why he did it, and President Biden didn't ask for his resignation, I'm OK with it.

The Constitution didn't foresee nuclear weapons and a raving lunatic in the Oval Office in control of them.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he told President Biden what he did and why he did it, and President Biden didn't ask for his resignation, I'm OK with it.

Who knows, maybe Woodward has a paragraph about that in the book ... Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Or maybe Biden will speak for himself...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/1...d-election-lies.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, a president saying he has "great confidence in you" is often not very reassuring.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What could Biden have said that would have been reassuring, short of, I'm damn glad he didn't let that maniac near the red button?

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post