well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Manchin’s New Deal

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manchin’s New Deal
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.politico.com/news/...nergy-taxes-00048325

Manchin's new deal with Schumer has something for the Affordable Care Act, climate change, American manufacturing and mining, and will reduce the deficit by $300 Billion.

They gave it a cute name too, “the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022.”

EDIT to add:

Looks like it will close the “carried interest” loop hole too.

Scroll down the Axios article a bit to get to a bullet point list of the major provisions included in the bill:

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/...eal-senate-democrats

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and if it doesn't include dealing with SALT caps so that wealthy blue state libs get bigger deductions, expect some more controversy.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Yeah, and if it doesn't include dealing with SALT caps so that wealthy blue state libs get bigger deductions, expect some more controversy.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesi...DKchAzbgz8wPwxN3_oGQ

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh c'mon. Yglesias is smarter than that. He knows the difference between the average and the mode ... Wink

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Sinema is miffed because she wasn’t included in negotiations.

Heads may roll.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sinema makes for good theater ...

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/2...cription-reform.html

Article above focuses on the bill's Medicare provisions:

1. Let Medicare negotiate prescription drug prices
2. Set Medicare Part-D out-of-pocket maximum to $2000

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Possible roadblocks:

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/...nchin-deal-democrats

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m seeing opinions that passing the bill would be inflationary. Looking at how it’s funded I don’t see it.

What am I missing?

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Sinema makes for good theater ...

True. I wish it was just theater, but the stakes are high. She craves the spotlight, but I think her "maverick" attempt at being Arizona's new John McCain is wearing thin for everyone. She will NOT be reelected, I predict. She'll most likely be primaried.

I think she's likely to do another "thumbs down" on this just to get the headlines. She's on record as supporting everything in this bill except the closing the tax loophole. But she gets her moment in the sun (and most likely a ton of campaign money coming her way).

Our system is totally broken.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Manchin goes on the Sunday morning shows to sell the bill.

https://www.politico.com/news/...senate-bill-00048826

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) said Thursday that she plans to "move forward" with a revised version of Democrats' reconciliation bill after reaching a deal to scale back some of the original tax provisions.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/...lation-reduction-act

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's great news from the Sinema camp. OK, it's not perfect but someone once said "never let perfection be the enemy of the good." Even without the carried interest tax provision... and with an enticing "beef up climate funding", it's a huge step forward.

Let's hope the Dems don't crater it with their vote-a-rama shenanigans. We know the GOP will be coming full bore.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That whole carried interest thing is just weird. It affects very few people and is obviously unfair.

I smell a rat.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Internet says to watch where Sinema goes once she leaves office.

Makes sense.