well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It has begun
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It has begun
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
When pj runs for president, I promise I will make the circuits deflecting any metoo accusations regarding our meeting.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I'm a hugger. (Now, trying to remember if I hugged Nina.)

I'm not defending my fellow huggers.

But...

Some faction is out to smear anyone who might be running for President except one. Huggers and casual kissers are going to get pilloried and derided and painted as unfit for any public office. Meanwhile, a guy who is accused of attempted rape has been seated on the Supreme Court. And Individual 1 himself admits to aggressively kissing women who do not want to be kissed and aggressively groping women who do not want to be groped. Not to mention his lifetime of philandering, adultery, general misogyny. He even wrote that one of the things that makes life worth living is sleeping with other men's wives, then went on to describe how he lures them into it.

And still his 34% of slobbering sycophants continue to cheer him on.

All of his slobbering sycophants continue to cheer him on.

It's 34% of all voters (and maybe more than that). Which is an even more sickening statistic.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I didn't say 34% of his slobbering sycophants. I meant the 34% of all voters who are his slobbering sycophants.

To them, he can do no wrong. Yet, they slobber at any chance to be outraged at comparatively benign behavior of anyone who dares challenge him.

The hypocrisy runs deep. I1 now leads the party that just a few years ago ran on the slogan "character counts".

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Standards of what is acceptable have changed a lot. It really is unfair to judge someone's past behavior that nobody thought anything of back then as unacceptable now.

Some people are touchers, and some of us find that charming and don't have a problem with it so long as it isn't sexual or disrespectful. There is a big difference you know.

Others of us are more reserved and don't want to be touched, even if the intentions are meant to be kind.

I've known a few people like Joe Biden. It's just how they express themselves. It isn't a problem for me. I think if someone behaves like this towards you and you don't like it, you need to either move away or say "please don't "

As someone on the national stage he should be more circumspect. Obviously he thinks it's normal or he wouldn't do it in public and in front of cameras. But this is part of the Biden brand--he is who he is and doesn't button it up.

I agree it's a problem in this climate. I also think this is taking #metoo more than a bit too far.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Fine.

Biden doesn't get to run.

I'm cool with that.

As long as the current groper-in-chief is held to the same standard.

Grab 'em by the primary!

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I dunno.

The problem here is the position and setting.

The CEO can’t embrace the mail clerk.

The head coach can’t smooch the equipment manager.

And the friggin Vice President can’t go around kissing anyone who is not his wife or is over the age of six months.

I don’t think it is disqualifying because all of us saw this stuff happening and thought it was charming or benign or funny. We can’t clutch our pearls over it now.

But is still super creepy.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Back to Biden, he's dismissed the youth vote.

I don't know if he'll run, but I hope not.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

I don’t think it is disqualifying because all of us saw this stuff happening and thought it was charming or benign or funny. We can’t clutch our pearls over it now.

But is still super creepy.

I don't know if I agree that it's super creepy. Maybe a little creepy, maybe a little weird.

Standards have changed over time. I like to believe that, if today's standards had been in existence then, he would have behaved differently then.

It doesn't feel right to tear strips out of the guy now for things that no one saw as a serious issue then.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Interesting piece by Ross Douthat.

The Real Joe Biden Decision

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, I1 has come close to defending Biden, or at least empathizing -- if I1 is even capable of empathy, which is doubtful.

So, my takeaway is that I1 doesn't care your political persuasion, he will go to bat for you if you are an old white guy accused of unwanted touching and kissing of women.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Very ironic. I didn’t realize this until it was reported in Politico but Biden was instrumental in the 2011 push to strip due process rights from accused men in colleges.

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-...p-nations-schools-ad

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ok this is funny.

Biden appointed head of TSA