well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It has begun
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It has begun
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
As I’ve predicted here several times, Biden will never survive metoo scrutiny.

https://www.thecut.com/amp/201...i-saw-joe-biden.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The sooner he leaves the stage, the less damage he'll do.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Why did this make me LOL? Big Grin

quote:
My staff was running around town trying to purchase ferns because according to Biden’s team, no other vegetation was acceptable for the stage.

The description and approach of Biden at the stage entrance sounds like a fatherly gesture to me. Of course, I don't know, I wasn't there. But that's what it sounds like. Does he have a history of womanizing?

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how he intended it, though my first thoughts were pretty much along the lines of Bernard's thinking. People can be tactile without having evil designs. But maybe not in today's world.

The article is all about the author and her reaction to what he did. After I was done reading it have to admit that my first thought was "lighten up".

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I agree with both of you. But many people won’t. Or they will judge him by the effects of his actions, not his intent.

Enough to make a difference, I suspect.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Intent is irrelevant. If you did that today, you'd be crucified.

They'll judge his past behavior by today's standards.

I'm not going to say that smelling a woman's hair is OK. It isn't. But, when he did it, it was more of a demonstration of bad manners and less of a disqualifying event.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
The accuser is a big Bernie supporter. Oh.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Rebecca Traister wrote a more sweeping anti-Biden piece, also in The Cut, published an hour after the Flores piece.

On twitter she was was given a hard time for waiting until this moment to say something.

She pointed out in her defense that she wrote two other articles about her concerns over Biden. By stunning coincidence they were published in the summer of 2015 when he was considering entering the race...

So yeah, this is what you might call situational outrage.

Still, he is way too creepy for many people’s taste, at least in 2019. If it weren’t these ladies it would be some others. In fact I’m sure we’ll see others soon.

It’s one of the reasons I haven’t been particularly excited about Biden. I’ve never thought he could get through a primary in the post metoo era.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ewwww.

Who kisses the top of someone's head in a business setting?

As a lifelong non-hugger, I'm glad people are now expected not to be handsy.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
And on the other side of the ledger:

Stephanie Carter reclaims her story

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What bothers me is the casual assumption that violating someone else's personal space is just A-OK if the violator wants to. This isn't just a sexual thing, but of course it can quickly go there. I feel the same way about women who want to hug instantly. "I'm a hugger." Well, fab, I'm not, back off.

Once you get the gender thing in there, then it becomes more complicated. What makes a man think it's OK to hug/kiss someone in a professional setting, or without a long-standing personal friendship or relationship? It's presumptive creepy paternalism or just the assumption that women can't define their own personal space.

I don't really care what Biden's intentions were. Someone really should have told him how inappropriate this is. If they did and he brushed it off with the equivalent of "I'm a hugger," then he lacks a bit of the empathy and self-reflection gene.

My 2c!

BTW: I'm just fine with hugging and being hugged by friends and family. But not by acquaintances or total strangers. Just in case it should come up. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What Nina said. And Cindy.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I'm a hugger. (Now, trying to remember if I hugged Nina.)

I'm not defending my fellow huggers.

But...

Some faction is out to smear anyone who might be running for President except one. Huggers and casual kissers are going to get pilloried and derided and painted as unfit for any public office. Meanwhile, a guy who is accused of attempted rape has been seated on the Supreme Court. And Individual 1 himself admits to aggressively kissing women who do not want to be kissed and aggressively groping women who do not want to be groped. Not to mention his lifetime of philandering, adultery, general misogyny. He even wrote that one of the things that makes life worth living is sleeping with other men's wives, then went on to describe how he lures them into it.

And still his 34% of slobbering sycophants continue to cheer him on.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can't argue with that, pj. I don't remember being offended by you, so you're probably OK. Big Grin

But if we were in a professional setting instead of someone's kitchen, and if we hadn't already had a fairly extensive, if pixillated, relationship, I think it would be off-putting.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't remember being offended by you, so you're probably OK.

Read the Stephanie Carter blog that I posted above. One viral photo will circle the world a million times before the truth has a chance to be heard.