well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile, at CPAC

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile, at CPAC
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Not making this up.

https://www.marketwatch.com/st...portions-11614360507

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Golden calf”

As I recall this doesn’t end well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I would hope this costs him some support.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s unreal.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
My favorite tweet: “If only there were some sacred text, one most people at CPAC claimed allegiance to, that very explicitly warns against making golden idols.”

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the stage? The shape of the stage?

https://images.dailykos.com/im...AAHbu.jpg?1614381066

https://theguardiansofdemocrac...arly-nazi-ss-symbol/

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wow. That stage. Don’t really believe somebody would do this on purpose. I feel like one of the first rules of designing any logo or shape is to make sure it can’t be mistaken for something else. (Not always easy)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Down the internet rabbit hole I went, looking for more info on the rune because I had never seen it/heard of it before. This popped up in the production designer and tech section of reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techt..._cpac21_unfortunate/

And a bit of thread drift....

Another reddit thread came up, one started by someone in theater. I was struck by the original post and started reading the rest of the thread. It's a glimpse into what so many people are going through, and how they're trying to support each other:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techt...r_over_20_years_has/

This poster's thoughts struck a chord, because my family lost many years of "normal" life because of WWII....

quote:
It may not help you but it helped me... I thought my Grandad. He was all set to take over the family business (printers) in Belfast, it was the only thing he was ever meant to do. Then the second world war broke out. He left the family business and became bomber crew. He flew bombers over occupied Europe for 6 years and somehow survived. Most of his friends did not. The rest of his life was spent with the image of huge cities burning from edge to edge, etched in the back of his mind, knowing his bombs had done that. He never went back to printing and worked in Air Traffic Control until he retired.

It's not comparable in many ways but the point is that throughout history the human race has had to adapt to the environment which surrounds us. We aren't computers, are environment isn't controlled, things can come into it which are beyond our control and we can't simply remove them. If our grandparents managed 6 years of normal life being put on hold whilst being bombed out of their homes, and having to take up the fight themselves at the cost of never being able to return to that normal life... we have to find a way to cope with the loss of our 'normal' now.

Yes, some people have got lucky and managed to live during periods where nothing has gone to rat **** on the international scale and they've lived a happy and interrupted life. But we are not that generation and we have to find our way through this as every generation before has done.

And this, from another redditer:

quote:
I'm actually using some money I inherited from my grandfather to turn my garage into a workshop. He also made it through WWII, but was taken by Covid. He would love that I'm using his money to create something. You're right, we can do this. But damn it's hard.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I don't for a minute think this was accidental...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

quote:
THE REAL STAR OF FRIDAY’S SHOW: A gilded, larger-than-life-size statue of Trump … and you’ll never guess where it was crafted.

“It was made in Mexico,” said artist TOMMY ZEGAN, who traveled all the way to CPAC from Rosarito, Mexico, where he lives as an American expat on a permanent resident visa.

The supply chain: Zegan spent over six months crafting the 200-pound fiberglass statue with the help of three men in Rosarito. He transported it to Tampa, Fla., where it was painted in chrome, then hauled it from there to CPAC in a U-Haul, where he managed to cart it through the conference in just a black-and-white Hawaiian shirt and no CPAC credential. (Tickets were sold out.)

“If someone offered me $100,000 I’d take it,” Zegan told Playbook.

https://www.politico.com/newsl...g-cpac-speech-491926

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What is the name of the Beer Hall where this event is taking place?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
“Golden calf”

As I recall this doesn’t end well.

hysteric

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post