well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    CA Senate votes to strike anti-discrimination clause from Constitution

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CA Senate votes to strike anti-discrimination clause from Constitution
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
quote:
ACA 5 would repeal Proposition 209 (approved by California’s voters in November 1996) from the California Constitution, which states:

“The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the base of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting.”

Voters still get a say in November.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This clause was designed, if I recall correctly, to destroy affirmative action. I would not interpret this change as some plot by racists.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
This clause was designed, if I recall correctly, to destroy affirmative action. I would not interpret this change as some plot by racists.

Why not? Confused

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So people who favor some form of affirmative action are racist now ...

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you said designed to destroy it. Confused

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, the seemingly innocuous sounding amendment was a poison pill designed to force CA public universities to cut black enrollment by forcing them to use only "objective" measures like SAT scores, which even then were known to be biased toward whites and higher income families.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
SF Chronicle piece

quote:
California’s affirmative action ban, Proposition 209, targeted for repeal

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post