well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your Employer's Response?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Employer's Response?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
And he was not hired to stand up a full sized emergency system in a week or two. I seriously doubt he has the infrastructure skills to do this. I seriously doubt the nation has the bandwidth to keep all the schools running online. Christmas shopping brings the internet to a crawl at times.

No, for the moment they need to just shut down and then figure out a very minimalist way to proceed.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I didn’t even think about that - the bandwidth issue. And everybody home and streaming Netflix. Eeker

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And posting on WTF. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Minimal, man, minimal. ROTFLMAO

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
I am an integral part of my employer's response to the outbreak.

Since Illinois' Governor has closed schools for the remainder of March, we anticipate that about half of our employees will need to stay home to watch their children. We are also anticipating that at some time in the near future there may be a general quarantine.

We have greatly ramped up our infrastructure for home/remote work. I have been heavily involved in it (almost to the extent of exhaustion, but I digress), both from the back end systems to training staff how to use our remote access systems. (We have several.)

Nevertheless, my position is one that will require physical access to a number of systems. I may be able to do a good portion of my work remotely, but that won't allow a full-time teleworking presence. Frowner

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:

Nevertheless, my position is one that will require physical access to a number of systems. Frowner
But if the facility is nearly empty, you can go in, do your work, and have minimal interaction with other people.

My workgroup has 25 or 30 people. This week, there were four or five people in the office. No more than one in each cube. Plenty of distance.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're most definitely thinking about bandwidth, as all courses are expected to be online in a week. Tried a few things out with, um, less than optimal results. However, a lot of instructors and students will be using their own home networks to log in, so that will reduce the load on internal infrastructure--and hopefully the big IPs have the capacity.... eeek.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Request to telework five days a week instead of previously authorized two days?

Denied.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Request to telework five days a week instead of previously authorized two days?

Denied.
WTF

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We just got word that a "member of the university community" has been diagnosed with COVID-19. There's no word on whether it was a student, faculty member, admin, or staff person.

Until now, classes were suspended until April 6, but staff and admin people still had to come to work. (There may have been work-from-home provisions for some on a case-by-case basis, but I'm not sure.) Now, they're closing the whole campus for a week to sanitize key areas where the person is known to have been.

I wasn't on campus last week, because of that trip to Washington that I probably shouldn't have taken, so I doubt I've been exposed to this particular person, but who knows whether it was already circulating on campus.

This is pretty close to home.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Disposable protective isolation gown with hood, gloves, full face shield, plus mask and footies for everyone that has patient contact. Request to eliminate all visitors to your home when you're not working, and to have no contact with anyone outside the home.

Wash in, gear up, see patient, dispose of gear, wash out. Repeat for each patient.

Now they're considering going to a 72 hours on, 48 off, followed by 48 on, 72 off schedule to limit coming and going of staff.

Getting real out there folks.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Got word today that all employees are to work at home. Our farm team will continue as they are outside, away from the public but we have a plan in place to train us all to take on their tasks in case they are out of commission.

NO members of the public are allowed in our office..This is tough..We are an open door in normal circumstances.

I will go in tomorrow to take care of a few things and pick up my monitor for set up at home.

My new boss starts work Monday...online...

Sigh..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I always work from home. Nothing has really changed for us. Less going out for lunch and shopping. but that's about it.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My employer finally authorized telework for telework-ready employees like me.

So far, contractors have to commute to the office. If they don't come in, they don't get paid.

Pathetic.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
We met today....

Donation page to be up tomorrow for folks to sponsor bags of produce for the less fortunate, landlord is ok with us setting up in our parking spaces (bags with names on them will be left for those who can pick them up).

We in the office are willing to deliver to the home bound... Farm team is prepping for planting for the spring with our education team, who is sidelined with closed schools, to be trained to till and plant.

As we are a food producer, we are considered essential and can work around restrictions.

Our plan was presented to the city health dept for approval..I think their hair blew back a bit..they were in no way as far ahead as we are in the planning..so all is a go for us.

I am so proud of our little team (15 people).

What a difference from my former work at 4th Letter & 2nd Letter where they, as of Friday, were still requiring that all employees at their largest office come in person... WTF

MillCityGrows.org