well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Easiest languages for English speakers to learn

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easiest languages for English speakers to learn
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Article mentions my mother tongue, so of course I have to post it!

Lithuanian is not one of the easiest for English speakers to learn....

https://www.afar.com/magazine/...for-english-speakers

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Two months ago, I got a new iPad so I could use DuoLingo. I've been working on Polish. What a grind! There is zero instruction, so you only learn by making mistakes on the exercises and trying to figure out what you did wrong.

I took a year of Polish in college. I don't recall it being this hard. The use of pronouns is similar to but different from Russian, and the people that give you help on the exercises regularly contradict each other and sometimes contradict themselves.

Of course, English isn't an easy language to learn, either.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I liked reading about the different categories of languages, even in the European families. It categorizes some things that I was only acquainted with by encounters with some of those languages.

The only language besides English that I had some proficiency with was Portuguese as a result of spending two years in Brazil. My proficiency was at best mediocre because many of my Brazilian associates spoke better English and we'd resort to that for mutual understanding. My wife had to get by in many situations where there were no English speakers to defer to and so her ability to speak Portuguese exceeded mine. On the other hand, I sat through many meeting and encounters where I listened to Portuguese and so my ability to understand the spoken language improved to a fair degree. I was told that I spoke Portuguese with a Cariocan (native of Rio de Janeiro) accent, probably because of learning the Portuguse that I spoke there.

The relationships between Romance languages came into sharp perspective for me one night in Paris. I was with an associate who wanted to go into a shop to procure some souvenirs. I elected to stand outside near the curb and smoke a cigarette. While I was there, a car pulled up, rolled down a window and asked me, "Voce fala (Do you speak)?" Without pause, I replied, "Não, so fala inglês (No, I only speak English)." With that, the car rolled up its window and drove away. It was only a little while after that I realized what had occurred. Here I was on a street corner in Paris, being asked if I spoke Portuguese (or Italian, perhaps). I had given a response that they apparently understood and they had driven away. I wondered as I thought about it if they wondered what kind of jerk told them in a language they apparently understood that he didn't speak that language. The transaction itself took place without any conscious thought or translation.

The differences in sounds between languages were very clear when we first met the Italian girl who lived with us for a year as an exchange student. No matter how many times we repeated her surname, it didn't sound right to her. Finally she just gave up on teaching us how to say it. I'm happy to say that that difficulty did not poison our relationship, which continues today.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post