well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am really curious about the action, because I know a lot of people have Kawai grands w/ the carbon fiber action and like them a lot. I just may not be "flexible" enough (for lack of a better work) and the carbon fiber action felt different from the all-wood action of the other pianos I've played lately.

Maybe. Nevertheless, my reaction to those grands was very clear, I did not like them. So I have to think it's something about that action. Either that or something about the way those grands were prepped because I played 4 different new Kawai grands in the same shop, so I'm assuming the same tech prepped them. I wonder if the carbon fiber actions change very much as they get played in.

Also, I wonder how I would felt if I played one for several days in a row, would I start to like it or not. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to find out though!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I am really curious about the action, because I know a lot of people have Kawai grands w/ the carbon fiber action and like them a lot. I just may not be "flexible" enough (for lack of a better work) and the carbon fiber action felt different from the all-wood action of the other pianos I've played lately.

Maybe. Nevertheless, my reaction to those grands was very clear, I did not like them. So I have to think it's something about that action. Either that or something about the way those grands were prepped because I played 4 different new Kawai grands in the same shop, so I'm assuming the same tech prepped them. I wonder if the carbon fiber actions change very much as they get played in.

Also, I wonder how I would felt if I played one for several days in a row, would I start to like it or not. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to find out though!

Well, don’t rule them out yet. If all 4 that you played were prepped by the same person, try one somewhere else and see if that makes a difference.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Based on my reaction to the S Kawai I played, I agree with AdagioM. Also, the piano would have your online initials! That's gotta be worth something.... Cool

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, don’t rule them out yet. If all 4 that you played were prepped by the same person, try one somewhere else and see if that makes a difference.

AdagioM,I will definitely not rule out Kawai completely. Although this experience does make me less keen to drive two+ hours to check out a Kawau grand being sold by a private seller.... We'll see. I'm putting that one off because this weekend we're going to a piano dealer who sort of puts off warehouse-type vibe, they only have used grands (they have new inventory for uprights though) and they do have a Kawai or two I believe, so I'll certainly try them!

quote:
Also, the piano would have your online initials! That's gotta be worth something....

Nina, unfortunately, I don't have a *Shigeru* Kawai budget. I was looking at the GL and GX models, so there's no S on those! Ole

Posts: 18523 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oh, BTW, I see that you’ve liked the Bostons that you’ve played. Me, too. At Sonata camp, there were two Bostons in the living room. The mahogany one had a particularly bell-like tone that just made me happy to play it. The black piano was nice, too, just not as nice as the mahogany. And when I listen to them on a recording, I don’t notice the difference, but playing? Oooooohhhhhh, baby!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Adagio, I take it those were Boston grands? I don't suppose you have an idea on the length?

I really liked the ones I've played. But they've been new instruments and I can't afford that. There may be some that pop up used, but so far I've only played new ones.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adagio, I take it those were Boston grands? I don't suppose you have an idea on the length?

I really liked the ones I've played. But they've been new instruments and I can't afford that. There may be some that pop up used, but so far I've only played new ones.

I had to go look in my journal from 2000/2001. Man, I used to think a LOT about piano. Like I do now about knitting! Anyway, the mahogany Boston was 5’10”. I didn’t note the size of the black one because I wasn’t in love with it. I don’t think it was bigger, though.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I haven't come across a Boston of that size yet.

It seems like I don't seem them as much in the used market around here, either being sold by dealers or by individuals. Of course, I haven't been looking that long, so we'll see. But unless my financial situation changes, I won't be able to consider a new Boston grand, so hopefully I can find some used ones to consider.

I wonder if Boston grands don't come on the used market as much because of the profile of who buys them. For example, I'm thinking about the fact that smaller Yamaha grands are all over the used market down here, and then the next most common ones are Kawai and Young Chang. Those are the kinds of instruments I can imagine people getting for their children, or themselves because they want to learn, and Yamaha especially will be seen as a safe bet. So could it be the case that Boston grands are more likely to be purchased by people who already play themselves, and thus are less likely to sell only a few years after purchase?

I'm probably overthinking this though...

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:

It seems like I don't seem them as much in the used market around here, either being sold by dealers or by individuals. Of course, I haven't been looking that long, so we'll see. But unless my financial situation changes, I won't be able to consider a new Boston grand, so hopefully I can find some used ones to consider.

I wonder if Boston grands don't come on the used market as much because of the profile of who buys them. For example, I'm thinking about the fact that smaller Yamaha grands are all over the used market down here, and then the next most common ones are Kawai and Young Chang. Those are the kinds of instruments I can imagine people getting for their children, or themselves because they want to learn, and Yamaha especially will be seen as a safe bet. So could it be the case that Boston grands are more likely to be purchased by people who already play themselves, and thus are less likely to sell only a few years after purchase?

I'm probably overthinking this though...

Maybe not overthinking, you may have a point. And if the Boston purchaser was a high end purchaser, they would have bought a Steinway. And if they were highly influenced by price, or buying for the kids, they would have bought an Essex!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My K Kawai does not feel like the Shigerus I have played. Wish it did, but I like my piano.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I also just think there are vastly more Yamahas, Kawais, and Young Changs sold, particularly in your area. It may be regional. I've never piano shopped outside the South and I think I've never played a Boston. (I can't remember if I played any when I went recreational piano shopping with Pacific Northwet WTFers several years ago, but I do remember that I played some brands I'd never played before. One of them was Estonia.)

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I just tuned a smaller (5'1") Weber that had a really nice scale design so that the breaks between stringing sections were very smooth. It seemed to be pretty stable from season to season as well... Not sure if there are any available in your area, but the price point should be lower than Kawai or Yamaha pianos.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if Boston grands don't come on the used market as much because of the profile of who buys them. ...
Boston branded grand pianos go up to 215cm, just a bit over 7 ft.

Steinway allows a Boston purchaser who later upgrades to a Steinway to apply the entire purchase price of the Boston towards to purchase of a Steinway, subject to a 10 year limit. So I figure many used Bostons would be reabsorbed by Steinway stores, and that's where you are more likely to find used Boston pianos. Shrug

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Ax may have the answer regarding the dearth of Bostons on the used market.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hey Ron, thanks for that comment. I have kind of completely ignored Webers because I’m a snob because I don’t know why actually. Mostly because it’s an unknown. But I will keep my eye out for them now.