well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We all have "the one that got away." I have two:

Affordable: a Pleyel 190 grand, from the same store where I bought my Pleyel upright. Lovely piano.

Not affordable: Brand new 6-7 ft Shigeru Kawai. What a gorgeous piano. I went to play another unattainable piano (August Foerster) but was totally blown away by the S Kawai.

Piano shopping is fun! Smiler (Keep saying that to yourself)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The nicest piano I ever played was Kenny's Mason Hamlin BB. I don't really play piano but I could play that one. Magic!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pianos that I think are wasted are the ones that nobody every plays.

I agree, MA!

Re your piano's suspected voicing, that's an interesting thought!

Nina,
quote:
Piano shopping is fun! Smiler Smiler (Keep saying that to yourself)

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18511 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Cant wait to retire next month. I plan to devote at least an hour a day to my piano.

Well I cannot endorse or diss the piano playing plan because I haven’t played in years. I can however enthusiastically recommend the retirement gig!! Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Cant wait to retire next month. I plan to devote at least an hour a day to my piano.

Easier said than done, in my experience.
Have been playing again over the last three days. Hope I can keep it up.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
We all have "the one that got away." I have two:

Affordable: a Pleyel 190 grand, from the same store where I bought my Pleyel upright. Lovely piano.

Not affordable: Brand new 6-7 ft Shigeru Kawai. What a gorgeous piano. I went to play another unattainable piano (August Foerster) but was totally blown away by the S Kawai.

Piano shopping is fun! Smiler (Keep saying that to yourself)

Have been very impressed by the S Kawais.
Have a K Kawai I am happy with, but...

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and say it out loud...

Most, if not all decent techs know the "how-to" part of regulating and voicing a piano. It is rarer to find those that are really gifted in both of these things that allow a piano to reach its full potential. (nah, I'm not one of 'em, but I know in town who I can suggest my discerning clients call!) Sadder are the techs that don't realize their own limitations and insist they do the best work...

Honestly, most clients couldn't care about paying more to get a more responsive piano, but if you are lucky enough to be in an area with a lot of techs, and looking for higher-level work, don't be afraid to ask around to find the upper tier techs! (Colleges, churches, symphony, piano stores and piano teachers are a good place to start...)

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, I would definitely want to find some references and/or examples of other work if I were asking for some significant work to be done.

First I need to get a grand though...

Posts: 18511 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
SK,
What you must do is find out who is the technician who prepared that particular Steinway M. That is the person responsible for what you experienced.

Then have him be your technician.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
OK, now i read everyone else's comments and of course ron is already onto what i said.

two hours is not that far away for a tech to travel to work on a piano for someone who really appreciates what they do.

most people have no idea what their technician does, and don't even play their piano. you, however, would be a technician's dream client because you can hear what he did. and you were moved by it.

this is like dating. it's harder to find the right tech than the right piano.

i'm serious. find out who this is, and call them. tell them you fell in love and you can't afford that piano, but you want to buy a piano that can do what that M did to you.

he'll be glad to get that call.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I do plan to get the tech's name. We're going to visit that Steinway dealer again and I'll ask then. Otherwise maybe I'll just call and ask the salesman. I think he liked me - even though he said he used to work for Kawai right after I spent 10 minutes going on and on about how I didn't like the Kawai carbon fiber action! Leaving

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro: I think he liked me - even though he said he used to work for Kawai right after I spent 10 minutes going on and on about how I didn't like the Kawai carbon fiber action! Leaving

ROTFLMAO
Have a knack for doing things like that myself.

Also, Shigeru Kawais have that carbon fiber action.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, Shigeru Kawais have that carbon fiber action.

Really?? I wonder if the SK action is the same as the action on the under 6-feet Kawai grands I played last week. That would be surprising. And disappointing. I hated those actions. Did I already say that? suave

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Maybe the action gets more attention in the more $$ models.
I like the action in my GX-2 Blak series, but you might not.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Kawai has transitioned most models, Shigeru included, to use the black carbon fiber action parts for many years.

If you still see wood or pink-ish plastic action parts in Kawai pianos, chances are those are just older pianos.

Even though my personal Kawai is an older model that has mostly wood action parts, I have played many newer models with the black action parts and I like them just fine. But that's just me.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post