well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wine tourism in the US

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine tourism in the US
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Uncorking the best and most affordable wine regions in the U.S.

2023 Wine Lovers Index

https://www.hometogo.com/media...e-lovers-index-2023/

OK, wine aficionados....have you been to any of these areas?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Two of the areas are in central Virginia. I haven't been to any vineyards in the Middleburg area, but I have spent some quality time in the Monticello area vineyards.

Monticello Wine Trail

This includes many wineries in Nelson County, as well as a bunch in the Charlottesville area. One of the state's oldest premier wineries is in the Charlottesville area but seems to have opted out of being on that trail.

Barboursville

Barboursville wines frequently make the "Governor's Case" list in the annual tastings. I'm sitting on a couple of bottles of their dessert wine (Paxxito) that won the whole competition a couple of years ago. They also make a red blend called Octogon that fares well against European competitors.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I noticed they only provide descriptions for the first five on their list.

I’ve been to the three regions in NY State. The Finger Lakes is the best-known. We actually met Dr. Konstantin Frank, who pioneered European wine grape varieties in New York many decades ago.

The Long Island north fork wineries are situated fairly close together so doing a tour is pretty easy.

All three regions can make excellent wines.

Have also been to the wine region just south of Portland, Ore. loved that visit too. Great Pinot noirs!

And did one quick trip in Sonoma, Cal. So many wineries!

I’ve noted that many tasting rooms are pretty lavish and expensive-looking. Perhaps because wealthy businesspeople see running a winery as a fun project in retirement. Some also offer food and entertainment.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
More my speed:

Beverage Tour

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Chehalem Hills and Tuatlatin Mountains are just part of my amorphous “near Portland” wine areas; I consider the whole Willamette Valley to be one big Pinot Noir party. And yes, lots of tastings.

Southern Oregon: I’m supposed to be camping/wine tasting with friends over Memorial Day weekend down there. First time for me. And I may swing by to look at Crater Lake while I’m down that way. Native Oregonian, never seen it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I live in a fairly new wine region in Southwestern Ontario (Lake Erie North Shore). When I was a kid there was just one winery (Pelee Island) but now there are 13. It’s been really interesting to watch the town at the centre of the region go from a sleepy, middle class bedroom community to a fantastic destination with great restaurants. We have also spent a lot of time in the Niagara wine region, which is more well-established. There are some really great wines in both regions, though I’ve found you have to pay a bit more per bottle to get something comparable to less expensive bottles from more established regions.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Missouri vines saved the French wine industry

Plan a trip to the wine regions of Missouri

There was a Rothchild backed winery started just north of the Missouri Bootheel. It failed. Was told the heat was too much for the vines.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised they don’t list the Temecula Valley in SoCA. There are some 50 wineries now. The soil and climate are very similar to Tuscany and the wines taste similar. Great food, too.

The Pasa Robles area (NE of Santa Barbara) also has some 170 wineries. The Santa Ynez valley to the East has another 120. Both are less expensive than the better-known Napa and Sonoma areas.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Oregon recommendations. However (AM, take note) I've heard that the wines in the past few years in both Southern Oregon / Rogue River and in the Willamette Valley have a "tinge" because of our wildfires.

I'm not sure my palate is that sophisticated to notice unless it's really bad. I really enjoyed Belle Fiore and Dancin' Vinyards, 3 years ago. I fantasized about our daughter getting married at Belle Fiore until I saw the price to rent the place. We might as well just buy them a house.
Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I tasted at wineries for years and never really got it. I’m a gin/scotch man myself.

Then I got a chance to sample a $1200 bottle and then a $500 bottle. In Temecula I tried a $300 bottle.

Yikes! This is what wine is supposed to taste like. Totally recalibrated my palate.

Now I’m a wine snob. Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I agree with the Oregon recommendations. However (AM, take note) I've heard that the wines in the past few years in both Southern Oregon / Rogue River and in the Willamette Valley have a "tinge" because of our wildfires.

I'm not sure my palate is that sophisticated to notice unless it's really bad. I really enjoyed Belle Fiore and Dancin' Vinyards, 3 years ago. I fantasized about our daughter getting married at Belle Fiore until I saw the price to rent the place. We might as well just buy them a house.
Smiler

My friends are fans of the tempranillos from the Rogue Valley (southern Oregon).

I love wine tasting, but don’t like to buy a whole lot of fancy wine; I can keep up with the fancy wine talk but wine is so fleeting I don’t want to pay a lot for it.

Better to buy the house, yes!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
More my speed:

Beverage Tour

Big Grin

Will have to try the one in Illinois next time I'm in the area. It's in the same town as the university I attended but it wasn't there when I was in school. I'm guessing its owners probably hadn't been born yet...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post