well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Maybe we should just ignore it?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe we should just ignore it?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
And . . . it starts. Senator Johnson suggests we just let corona virus thin the herd:

quote:
"But we don't shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It's a risk we accept so we can move about," Johnson continued, in apparent reference to recent guidance issued at the federal and state levels for people to avoid large groups and stay away from bars, restaurants and other businesses to help blunt the spread of coronavirus. "We don't shut down our economies because tens of thousands of people die from the common flu."

If all of the car accident victims showed up at the emergency room all at once while threatening to spread their trauma status to anyone they come in contact with for weeks, he might feel differently.

I don't think we need to take these extreme social distancing measures forever. Me, I'm going to run out of patience for it in about three weeks. We're trying to buy time to improve our capability to respond, which makes good sense to me.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing nearly enough leadership from Trump on this. I don't see how we are much more prepared now than a week ago.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Most of the efforts have come from private organizations and firms.

Ron Johnson, BTW, is a shining example of the moral and intellectual qualities of the contemporary GOP.

Yes, I know one can find a few examples sensible elected Republicans, but I have dumped this party forever for its embrace of the cult of cruel cupidity and stupidity.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I seen something about having people make masks at home and ship them...somewhere. I'm not quite sure how this would work.

It's like WWII scrap metal drives and Industrial Revolution cottage industries all over again.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Senator Johnson suggests we just let corona virus thin the herd

VeryAngry

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The whole interview:

https://www.jsonline.com/story...spective/5074145002/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Most of the efforts have come from private organizations and firms.

Ron Johnson, BTW, is a shining example of the moral and intellectual qualities of the contemporary GOP.

Yes, I know one can find a few examples sensible elected Republicans, but I have dumped this party forever for its embrace of the cult of cruel cupidity and stupidity.

Over the past few years, I've morphed my beliefs into ones more similar to yours, P*D. I'm not happy about it. I grew up in Arizona, my parents were life long Republicans, I have many, many friends who are Republicans. But I do not understand how this current crop of GOP, with few exceptions, deserve any support at all. The whole "gummint is the problem," "starve the beast" mentality is something that had a tiny bit of merit, but was taken to the extreme. Our current situation is shining a light on the reason why we need a strong, ethical leadership. Right now, all the actual daily action and decisions have come from the mayors and governors, and the feds have lagged. Every decision Trump has made (with the exception of things reserved for only federal/potus focus) have already been made by our governor and/or mayor.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
This is a winner of an article. Along the same lines.....

https://thefederalist.com/2020...isks-of-coronavirus/

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I quit contacting my Repub friends months ago.
They don't contact me.
My brother and two of the men who farm my land are right wingers. I get the news about their operations from my brother.
I talk to the third farmer occasionally.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What confounds me are the Republicans who are *not* way off on the far right, but support, defend and vote for those that are. Well, I guess I'm not really confounded. I assume it's an issue of basic values. For me, issues of character (like no, it's not OK to separate families, to make fun of disabled, to cut assistance to the poor) will always win out over politics and policies. Others see it differently. But I still scratch my head how all these church-going Christians can support Trump.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
This is a winner of an article. Along the same lines.....

https://thefederalist.com/2020...isks-of-coronavirus/

SMH. Guess she's missed the videos from inside of Italian hospitals.

I know people like her.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post