well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Artificial sweeteners
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artificial sweeteners
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
While artificial sweeteners may seem like a good alternative to sugar to reduce caloric intake, a study published in The BMJTrusted Source suggests there may be a connection between such sweeteners and an increased risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD), including stroke.

The research, conducted by the French National Institute for Health and Medical Research, is not the first study to suggest a connection between artificial sweeteners and increased risk for heart disease, however, it is the largest to date. The study included data from more than 100,000 participants.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.c...e-sweeteners-studied

From the study:

quote:
Policy implications and conclusions

In conclusion, these findings suggest that higher artificial sweetener consumption might be associated with increased risk of CVDs. Further well designed, large scale prospective studies need to confirm these results and experimental studies should be conducted to clarify biological pathways. In the meantime, this study provides key insights into the context of artificial sweetener re-evaluation by the EFSA, WHO, and other health agencies worldwide. Our results indicate that these food additives, consumed daily by millions of people and present in thousands of foods and beverages, should not be considered a healthy and safe alternative to sugar, in line with the current position of several health agencies.

https://www.bmj.com/content/378/bmj-2022-071204

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Somehow I'm not surprised!

I have avoided all and any artificial sweeteners for a looong time now bc some are linked to migraines, and I'm not interesting in risking it to find out which aren't.

IIRC Wtg you wrote about other problems, like how the sweet taste kind of makes people want to eat more? My memory is fuzzy now.

But the point is, artificial sweeteners are bad! Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
As with a lot of things, studies about artificial sweeteners have mixed results. Some seem to indicate that the sweeteners can trigger an insulin response and over time, cause insulin resistance.

They've never agreed with me, so avoiding them hasn't been a sacrifice.

Sugar and carbs in general, OTOH....well, just don't ask...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37682 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve often wondered about studies like this.

People who use artificial sweeteners tend to be overweight, and overweight people are at greater risk for the negative health outcomes discussed in the article.

I’m not sure how you’d sort for that. Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the French study, but I'm generally skeptical of medical correlative "analysis."

People who choose to use artificial sweeteners do not comprise a random sample of the population, so the "treatment" effect of using various artificial sweeteners may be operating through all sorts of non-measured unobservables. Not to mention observables that haven't been fully controlled.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Always been skeptical of diet anything. The compromises and additives they employ can be avoided simply by smaller portions.

Besides, that stuff tastes awful.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13515 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I consume artificial sweetener sometimes. It depends. There is no way I will drink a sugary soda, so if I want a soda, I will get diet.

My beverages nowadays are water and cocktails.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Demerara sugar for me please

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I dislike the chemical sweeteners like aspartame, but find Stevia a great sugar alternative. I thinks it’s a plant.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17668 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no way I will drink a sugary soda, so if I want a soda, I will get diet.

I *rarely* drink a soda, but when I do, I drink a regular soda. I think of it like dessert or a treat.

I could be wrong, but I think the artificial sweeteners are bad enough that drinking a real soda is preferable (assuming one's not drinking them all the time!)

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Same here regarding sodas.

When I was growing up we didn't have them around the house so they never became a habit. They were only purchased in advance of some party or holiday that my parents were hosting. Mostly 7-UP and ginger ale, something you could make a highball with. We kids drank it straight. Big Grin

I started drinking Tab at meals when I went away to college. Started to have tummy problems, which went away when I stopped drinking the stuff. Have never gone back to regular consumption of carbonated sugary beverages.

Bazootiehead-in-training

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Gave up all sodas about a decade ago. Mind you, I was probably in the upper 5% of diet coke drinkers - drinking a minimum of 4 liters a day. Now, my "go to" drinks are carbonated water and green tea. My wife, another major diet coke person, has given up sodas as well, drinking water or worse case - diluted lemonade.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
drinking a minimum of 4 liters a day

Eeker

Wow!!!

The only thing I drink anywhere near that much of is water. My go-to drink is water. In the summer, sometimes replace water with ice-cold mugi-cha (barley tea, it's called tea but there's no tea in it, it's like the "coffee of tea" IMO) I sometimes drink carbonated water/sparkling water but not that often, I'd rather just have water.

And then coffee, which i have recently reduced by a cup, so two cups (ok, two mugs) of coffee a day.

I don't drink alcohol, and as I said, a soda is a rare indulgence.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Oh, no!

I was so disturbed to read about this (I depend on certain artificial sweeteners - especially: erythritol, monkfruit, Stevia and sugar alcohols*), that I went and pigged out on eight artificially sweetened chocolate chip cookies. Red Face

The Atkins and Quest ones are delectable - avoid becoming hooked. NOT low-calorie (nor cheap) but almost no carbs. Yummy At least as good as the "real" kind.

Normally I try to reserve them for special treats.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wonder about Stevia. Sugar cane is a plant, so is Stevia.

Is there a difference?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post