well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    23 year old invents home urine testing kit to detect breast cancer (Goodbye mammograms!)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

23 year old invents home urine testing kit to detect breast cancer (Goodbye mammograms!)
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I've been thinking for ages (and saying) that if more women were scientists there would be a simple test for breast cancer just as there is the PSA test for prostate cancer, and...
voila!

Judit Benet invents home urine testing kit to detect breast cancer

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Judit won the international James Dyson award for scientific achievement, but for the first year ever, the judges also awarded a "sustainability prize" in the same amount (30K British Pounds).

Scroll down to read about this second astonishing achievement. It's a way of "harvesting" UV light from farming waste. The substance developed is available and able to make electricity regardless of the level of sunlight unlike solar power (over-simplification because I didn't really understand the explanation).

I was surprised that the invention was heralded (at least in this article) only as a way of making energy to replace fossil fuels without also stressing the extreme importance to the environment in reducing carbon emission.

Either way it's a marvel and both are happy achievements. Note that the international prize was won by a young Spanish woman, while the sustainability award was won by a young Filipino man.

(I think they both should have won a whole lot more, but hopefully they will be able to monetize their achievements in some way - that they haven't basically sold their patents. Considering the tech start-ups that are sold for millions or even billions!)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Somehow, I don't see this in every household...

Frowner

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Somehow, I don't see this in every household...

Frowner

Which invention?

I was very impressed by the "Blue Box" that detects the breast cancer metabolites - and it's expected to be market-ready within two years. How great for women, to be able to use it for pre-screening before requiring a famously boob-squishing mammogram!

As for the UVA electricity generator, it looks as feasible as solar panels and no more cumbersome.

Seems this year's competition was inundated with high quality entries. The contestants appear to be mostly graduate students, but WHAT a giant step up from the Science Fairs of yore - even the Exploravision.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
On a related note....a breast cancer vaccine...

https://www.prnewswire.com/new...ccine-301178420.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post