well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    as if I didn't already hate driving...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

as if I didn't already hate driving...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Any talk of getting rid of speed lights is just terrifying to me. I already hate driving, and the drivers in this state are truly horrible (for example compared to Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota, the only other states I've really driven in enough to have an idea). If the speed limit were raised, or just done away with, I think I would never want to get on a highway around here, ever again.

How states are pushing highway speeds past the limit

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My plan: stay in the right lane. There are definitely places in AZ where you can easily go 75 (posted) and above without endangering yourself or others (because there's no one else around). The problem is that people don't drive to the road conditions, they get in their mind that 75 is the speed limit so they can go at least 80, anywhere, any time. And at that speed, if anything goes slightly wrong, you simply don't have time to correct.

It's also exhausting to drive more quickly than traffic warrants, at least if you're doing it right. You need to be hyper-vigilant at all times. I don't understand the thrill of driving too quickly, weaving through traffic, slamming on your brakes, shooting out into a new lane, etc. In most cases (in the city) we all catch up to each other regardless.

I think it's a stupid idea.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is that people don't drive to the road conditions, they get in their mind that 75 is the speed limit so they can go at least 80, anywhere, any time. And at that speed, if anything goes slightly wrong, you simply don't have time to correct.

Exactly. The other thing I experience around here *all* the time is really bad tailgating. Sure it's in town, so maybe the overall speed isn't as high, but it's in town, so more stopping and starting. Sometimes I think it's just a matter of time before we're rear ended. Frowner

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel better, I've only been rear-ended once in my life (and AZ sounds like where you are), and then it was while I was waiting to turn right on red at a stop light. I inched up a bit and the guy behind me thought I was going to turn and ran into me. He was going < 5 mph, I'm guessing. So hopefully you will be as lucky. Smiler

I've certainly been honked at and flipped off, and some of these yahoos you just *know* are going to cut you off as they whip around you, so I am always prepared for that.

Some people are just jerks.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people are just jerks.

Especially when they get behind the wheel!