well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Birthdays

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birthdays
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
A number of my friends have jumped in on what appears to me to be a new trend: Asking for donations to a favorite charity for their birthdays. It happens on FB (quelle surprise). So now I'm expected to donate to a cause every time a friend has a birthday? Nope, not going there. I get so many solicitations already from non-profits, it's impossible to give to them all.

Is this new? Is it happening to you?

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've seen it--it doesn't bother me. I can always choose to donate or not. I figure it's better than wasting my money to buy some doodad that is unnecessary.

I've also seen it for weddings, where the couple are already established adults. But on the flip side, I've also seen requests to donate to the honeymoon in lieu of gifts, which strikes me as really tacky. So there's that.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've seen it more and more. FB suggests you set one up on your birthday. I suspect a lot of people are guilted into doing so by that message.

I contribute to exactly none of them.

But I do always contribute if a friend is doing a walkathon or whatever. But I don't do these FB things.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
But on the flip side, I've also seen requests to donate to the honeymoon in lieu of gifts, which strikes me as really tacky. So there's that.

My 30 year old niece did that. I thought it was really tacky, TBH. But I was going to give them money anyway, so instead I bought their plane tickets.

By the way, it wasn't just 'please contribute to our honeymoon fund'. It was a list of items with dollar amounts next to them like you might see in a registry. Choose to pay for the flights, the little 3hr tour, X nights in the hotel, etc.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
FB suggests you set one up on your birthday.

That explains it. I wondered why it seemed to suddenly appear out of nowhere.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I suspect a lot of people are guilted into doing so by that message.

I say that because I felt an ever-so-slight twinge of guilt clicking 'no thanks'.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I don’t give to the birthday fundraisers, nor do I have one of my own.

If I gave to every birthday fundraiser for people with whom I don’t usually exchange gifts, that would be a budget buster!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
If I don't gift / pledge to the fire dept or police dept when they call, I sure as heck am not going to gift to a FB "ad"

But, when I get married, if I ever do, I am going to invite jon, and then FB suggestions for the HMoon!!!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I don’t do any of that stuff. Why would I donate money to their favorite charity when I’m not even planning on sending them a card? Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post