well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey, SoCalians

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, SoCalians
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Everyone okay?

Sounds like the earthquakes were a hundred miles from LA proper, but pretty darned big.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My son (Anthony) felt the buildings swaying in Las Vegas. LV is about the same distance from the epicenter as LA.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna is in Las Vegas and felt it, too.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I felt both quakes, the one yesterday morning and the second, stronger one last night.

Not a big deal here; nothing fell off shelves or anything like that. It looks like they got some damage up in the northern desert but if the pictures in the LA Times are any indication nothing really major.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There are reports that there’s a near 100% chance of a 5.0 quake and a 10% chance of a 7.0 quake.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Glad y'all are ok! I hate earthquakes and there are a lot of people I care about (y'all included) who live in and amongst them. Frowner

Quirt,
quote:
There are reports that there’s a near 100% chance of a 5.0 quake and a 10% chance of a 7.0 quake.

Right, but when? Do you mean, there are reports predicting these kinds of significant aftershocks in the next few weeks?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious how much the ground shifted after the two large earthquakes last week in Southern California? NASA has just the map for that question — and it happens to look like beautiful, psychedelic art.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/12...akes-moved-the-earth

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37681 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
— and it happens to look like beautiful, psychedelic art.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/12...akes-moved-the-earth

That's California

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Groovy, baby! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
train ride got a bit obbly: https://www.google.com/imgres?...KCowKg&iact=c&ictx=1
But google the canterbury quake for some real fun images of train track quake effects

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve been following this and I have to say I’m quite pleased.

7+ earthquakes are no small potatoes and smaller quakes have devastated cities in the past. Ridgecrest is a small town but it’s been shook up so many times the remaining buildings are current code. Current code works.

Nobody died. No buildings collapsed. One mobile home jumped its foundation but the other ones didn’t. One house fire.

Everyone likes to bitch about overly restrictive California codes but the fact is they saved the collective ass of a lot of Californians.

Bravo!