well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help! We caught a live mouse!! Where can we set it free??
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! We caught a live mouse!! Where can we set it free??
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Help! We caught a mouse in our basement. And by caught, I mean, it’s alive and trapped in a container. Mr. SK thinks it’s a baby. So, we’ll deal with the fact that we obviously have mice in the house later.

What do we do with this tiny baby mouse?!? It’s kinda cute, and we can’t kill it. But if we set it free in the yard, it’ll just come back in.
Any advice???

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it will come back? I would put it outside!

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We took it out to a wooded area and released it. I’m sure it will become a snake’s dinner!

Ok, now we have to figure out what to do at home because if you see one, and it’s a baby, well there's sure to be a lot more!!

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
We took it out to a wooded area and released it. I’m sure it will become a snake’s dinner!

Ok, now we have to figure out what to do at home because if you see one, and it’s a baby, well there's sure to be a lot more!!

You can assume there are more. Times for traps or a shotgun. The latter can be messy.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I have some advice about traps. Don't get the sticky paper kind. They get stuck to it and die slowly. It's gruesome.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Times for traps or a shotgun

ROTFLMAO

So, poison is a bad idea? Do they crawl into the wall, die and start to smell?

Ugh, I really don’t want to deal with traps.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I use D-con for mice. Not rats - they are bigger and might smell. Never had a problem killing mice that way.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
D-con

We’ll try that.

Ugh.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Kitties are mousers...mine brings them live to me. I bravely cover it with a coffee can until the morning...putting a brick or something heavy on top. Then slide a cardboard piece under it, and without looking turnit over, put the lid on, travel to wooded area, and release as well.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
There are snap traps now that are much easier to set than the old wood and wire ones. You just pinch them to set them. Get several, bait with peanut butter, and put them in the area where you found the mouse. Reset every day until you quit catching mice.

Don't fool around because mice can quickly take over if not stopped in their tracks. Not only are they disease carriers, their wire chewing can start a fire.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We still have a mouse problem, and they are too smart for the traps. Somehow they lick off the nut butter without springing the traps! Sometimes we do put out glue traps but they avoid those too.

We never see them, but see their turds. Yuck. Not as bad now in the warm weather. We have sealed up entry points with steel wool but obviously have not sealed them all.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The problem with using cats as mousers is that they'll wind up with toxoplasmosis. No fun.

We had an infestation in our attic space once. We put a bunch of live traps and wound up hauling a few terrariums worth of 'em far away from the house. For quite a number of nights we had to walk into the attic (cue the horror flick music ... Big Grin ) to deal with the rattling sound coming from multiple traps. That's how the terrariums got populated.

I really don't like the poisons. Too much risk that they'll wander off into the walls and die.

It really helps to have someone do a thorough check of the roof and other possible entry points to see if anything needs to be repaired or blocked.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
their wire chewing can start a fire.

piqué, that is exactly my fear!!

P*D thank you for reminding me that we need to go check the attic. We found the mouse yesterday in the basement, but that doesn’t preclude mice in the attic. Ugh.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not the end of the world but it's always good to catch the ones you can.

Humane traps, if you hate killing the little guys as much as I do:

https://www.amazon.com/iTrap-M...95&s=gateway&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com/Odesos-...95&s=gateway&sr=8-28

My neighbor did a DIY version to catch chipmunks, except he put water in the bucket. Frowner

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links WTG.

We were poking around the basement this morning, I have no idea where they might be getting in. We're going to have to do a lot more sleuthing to figure out what areas might need sealing/plugging up.