well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing paint colors and flooring (w/ photos)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Ok, I have a bunch of photos (yay!)

We bought paint samples (Creamy, Eggwhite, and Navajo White, all SW colors) and are going to try them out, we're leaning toward Eggwhite for the living rooms, which is very close to Navajo White but with a slightly warmer feel (not yellow, but more yellow than Navajo white). In the bathroom we're going to go with Creamy, which is pretty close to true white but it's a little warmer.

So, after choosing paint, we have to choose a flooring option (to replace ugly carpet. The living room (where piano will go) has a doorway to the TV room (ugly carpet room). Then the TV room has a half wall separating it from the kitchen and dining.

So here's the question. Should the flooring (vinyl plank) be matched to the kitchen (gray-ish brown) or should we try to match it in color to the hardwood in the living room (so a much warmer brown-brown)?

Living room (piano room)

TV room

Kitchen

Dining room (OMG look at that wallpaper... And yes, that bottom color is purple. A true purple... break out the primer!)

This is a close up of the flooring in the kitchen and dining, but it's darker in real life.

We are getting rid of the gray, going to try something warm-white.

I can't decide whether to make this my office or not, because the other guest room has windows on two walls and is much brighter, while this one only on one wall, but it has the great shelves.... Anyway, gonna get rid of the green walls first!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I vote for matching the tv room floors to the kitchen. Otherwise the transition from tv room to kitchen may never look right. It works ok with the carpet because they are radically different.

Nice spaces, BTW!!

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bernard!!
That's a good reason for matching to kitchen. We can't get the exact same thing, but we found a few options that are super close, and with a threshold, you probably won't notice.

The argument in favor of other option (matching to the living room) is that ... I prefer warm colors, and the kitchen floor is cool. And that entry into the kitchen isn't super obvious, at least, I don't think it is...

Anyway, we're still deliberating! We're also going to go to Home Depot too because the flooring samples we got are from Lowes, so there may be other (cheaper??) options at HD.

Anyway, if anyone has more thoughts, advice, please share!! Smiler

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S.
quote:
Nice spaces, BTW!!

Thank you! The original flooring is sooo pretty! We are so excited! Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Fun seeing the insides!

Love the bathroom...the floor and the tile. I'd replace the new sink and base with an old looking sink with no base.

Use what you are happiest with for your study...don't base it on shelves which could be put up or taken down.

Love REAL floors.

Have an outside pic?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bernard. I would do the same floor in the TV and dining rooms and kitchen. It's also nice if you can avoid thresholds; one continuous type of flooring in adjoining spaces looks best.

Did the previous owners leave any extra flooring? Do you know what the brand it is and can you get enough to do the TV room? If you can't find the same flooring, it may be hard to match it. Colors, textures, and dimensions may be different for anything you find Then you kind of have to decide if you can live with "close", with thresholds, slightly different colors, or maybe slightly wider or narrow boards. The alternative is to do something completely different so it doesn't look mismatched.

I love this company's products. We installed one of their products about six months ago. It's great. It's from their Elevations line.

https://www.raskinind.com/

I ordered directly from the company. I think their marketing/sales section is called ToMkt. They give you the name of a local rep who will give you pricing and shipping info. It ran us $3.30 per square foot plus $125 delivery fee, plus $25 a can for their spray adhesive, which is da bomb to work with. My friend bought the same flooring from a local store, and I think she paid double that per square foot buying through them instead of direct from the company.

It's a little more of a hassle, but we couldn't find anything we liked at HD, Lowes, or Menards,.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That house is in remarkably good shape! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34949 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And yes, it's very nice space! Can't wait to see it with your furnishings and decorating touches.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like that the paneling survived in the kitchen and the room with the carpet. Real period stuff. My wife's Grandparents' house was paneled in the same material. There is a name for that style of paneling but I can't remember what it is.

What year was the house built?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34949 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
LL here’s the outside, not the best pic but I’ll have more soon!!

Also what will be Mr. SK’s Studio:

WTG, we haven’t found any leftover flooring yet, we found paint cans tho so I think maybe no flooring is left. Thanks for the link, we’ll take a look but I think we’ll end up with Lowe’s or HD because of the installation service they offer.

Re the threshold... so since we’ll have a threshold anyway, maybe we won’t try to match and actually go with something more different. I don’t know, this is maybe the hardest decision!! Probably harder than choosing paint colors!

Steve, the house was built in 1960. It is in great shape! The original flooorng is soo pretty. And it’s in living, hall and three bedrooms. Yay!

Other things that are great about it? The yard, the deck, the basement!
I’ll have more photos of the basement soon. Mr. SK’s Studio is one half of the basement, the other half isn’t finished and will be for laundry and exercise equipment.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. LL, you are right about that sink, it’s horrible!! It’s so mismatched that I wonder if they got it for free!! Even with the cabinet part, it would be so much better if the sink part was white to match the tub, toilet and floor tiles. Phooey!!

P.P.S. Steve, re the paneling, it actually looks kinda neat. I think it’ll be great when repainted Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Love the covered porch!

SK, it's worth buying a box of the flooring you choose and to try laying it out to see how it looks. You can always pack it back up and return it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, oooh, good idea!!!!

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Purty! What fun!

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Very appealing curb appeal

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post